What to look for when renting a party bus

A jug used for hayrides is painted during a State News how-to video.
A jug used for hayrides is painted during a State News how-to video. —

When renting a party bus for an event, there are a few important things to check before deciding on a company, spokesperson from the Michigan Department of Transportation, or MDOT, Michael Frezell said.

The first step should be checking the MDOT website to see if the company is legally registered.

“They should always check that before they hire a bus or a party bus or anything like that because they have to be licensed with MDOT,” Frezell said.

Another important step, which is sometimes skipped, is checking online reviews and speaking to people who have used the company before, Frezell said.

Every step should be documented in writing to provide evidence, Frezell said.

“Always request things in writing from the carrier,” Frezell said. “Your carriers that have been doing this business understand how to work and provide quotes to people and put it in writing.”

Payments should also have documentation, which means paying in cash is a bad idea, Frezell said.

“I’ve heard some situations where some carriers have only wanted cash,” Frezell said. “I would say that would be a warning sign.”

Overall, taking basic steps and researching the company before booking will make the whole process run better.

“Just because it’s the lowest rate doesn’t mean it’s the best way to go,” Frezell said.

Frezell's advice comes after the local party bus company, LansingParty.com, LLC, had its buses impounded for operating unlicensed and uninsured.

Share and discuss “What to look for when renting a party bus” on social media.