New digital media-centric research lab at MSU created to encourage innovative learning

The MSU Library, pictured on Sept. 30, 2016.
The MSU Library, pictured on Sept. 30, 2016. —

MSU’s College of Arts and Letters and MSU Libraries are collaborating to build a state-of-the-art Digital Scholarship Lab, a work space that encourages scholarly research through the use of more innovative and advanced technology.

The 8,000-square-foot lab will be located in the Main Library and feature a 360-degree immersive visualization room that fits up to 20 people, allowing viewers to experience being surrounded by a three dimensional image, along with a virtual reality room for experimentation with VR headsets.

The computing software and advanced technology featured in the Digital Scholarship Lab will be available to students from all areas of study, according to Assistant Director for Public Services in MSU Libraries Terri Miller. The area will also be accessible to faculty in hopes of cutting edge teaching methods being implemented in the classroom.

“The space will be an idea incubator for faculty and students from all over the university who are interested in exploring and integrating digital scholarship into their research and teaching,” Miller said in a press release.

The lab will be located near to Hollander MakeCentral on the second floor of the Main Library’s west wing and will offer extended hours to students, including nights and weekends.

The Digital Scholarship Lab is set to open during the spring 2018 semester.

Share and discuss “New digital media-centric research lab at MSU created to encourage innovative learning ” on social media.