Title IX investigation found three MSU football players in violation of university policy

<p><br>
Head coach Mark Dantonio leaves the stadium after the Green and White Spring Game on April 1, 2017 at Spartan Stadium. The White team defeated the Green team, 33-23.</p>

Head coach Mark Dantonio leaves the stadium after the Green and White Spring Game on April 1, 2017 at Spartan Stadium. The White team defeated the Green team, 33-23.

Lansing attorney Karen Truszkowski confirmed the three MSU football players have violated university policy in a Title IX investigation surrounding an alleged sexual assault. The Title IX process was just completed, MSU spokesperson Jason Cody confirmed.

“They were found to be in violation of a university policy and that’s all that I can disclose right now," Truzkowski said. Truzkowski represents the alleged victim.

Cody told The State News Tuesday afternoon he was not allowed to discuss the outcome of the investigation, including whether or not the three individuals — who remain unidentified — were in violation of university policy on the grounds of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, or FERPA. 

“I can confirm to you that the Title IX investigation into the three student-athletes has been completed,” Cody said. “But due to FERPA, I cannot comment on, obviously, the identities of anyone involved or whether there was a policy violation that was found or not.”

Title IX investigations go one of two ways — either there is a policy violation or there isn’t. Cody confirmed the Title IX investigation was recently completed, and in the event a policy violation is found, sanctioning or disciplinary measures would come through MSU’s Department of Student Life’s student conduct system.

According to a previous State News article, disciplinary decisions fall to a panel, made up of one staff member, one faculty member and one student.

“The Title IX investigation was just completed,” Cody said. “So you can imagine, generally, if somebody did go to the student sanction side, it takes time for that to get over there, for there to be a hearing panel set, and so on and so forth.”

The Title IX probe is one of three investigations that began after an alleged rape took place on Jan. 16 at the University Village apartments. The incident was reported to MSUPD on Jan. 17.

MSU announced the suspension of the players from football-related activities and removal from on-campus housing on Feb. 9.

The other investigations are being conducted by the Ingham County Prosecutor’s Office to determine if the alleged criminal sexual conduct occurred. The third probe is examining the football program, and has been underway by Jones Day law firm as of Feb. 10.

As of Monday, the Ingham County Prosecutor’s Office confirmed the criminal investigation for the incident was still under review. Officials at the Ingham County Prosecutor’s Office were unavailable for comment as of Tuesday afternoon.

“The Title IX investigation is completely separate from the criminal investigation,” Truszkowski said. “There’s a completely different standard of proof. A violation of university policy does not necessarily mean that they’ve done something criminal.” 

Share and discuss “Title IX investigation found three MSU football players in violation of university policy” on social media.