Tori Jankoska named First Team All-Big Ten among others

Senior guard Tori Jankoska (1) kisses the floor during the fourth quarter of the women's basketball game against Pennsylvania State University on Feb. 22, 2017 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Nittany Lions, 73-64.
Senior guard Tori Jankoska (1) kisses the floor during the fourth quarter of the women's basketball game against Pennsylvania State University on Feb. 22, 2017 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Nittany Lions, 73-64. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

This week the Big Ten honors were released and the MSU women’s basketball team was well represented. Senior guard Tori Jankoska earned her fourth straight all-conference honor and three other Spartans made the honorable mention list.

In head coach Suzy Merchant’s 10 seasons, MSU has earned 35 All-Big Ten elections. Each year the women’s program has had at least two of its players earn conference honors.

Freshman guard Taryn McCutcheon, redshirt-senior guard Branndais Agee and graduate student forward Taya Reimer were all named to All-Big Ten Honorable Mention team. Agee was unanimously named to the honorable mention team by both coaches and media.

Last year Agee was named honorable mention for the conference, making this the second year she reached all-conference honors. Reimer and McCutcheon got the media’s support to put them on the team.

Jankoska was named honorable mention her freshman year, and for the past two season she was second-team All-Big Ten. This is Jankoska’s first time being honored on the first-team All-Big Ten.

The all-time leading scorer in MSU history currently averages 36.1 minutes, 22.5 points, 5.1 assists and 8.2 rebounds per game this season going into the Big Ten Tournament.

Jankoska is the first MSU women’s basketball player to reach 2,000 points and the lone MSU senior is No. 2 in the conference in scoring, No. 4 in assists and No. 7 in rebounds.

Even though she was unanimously selected for the first-team, Jankoska with a strong senior campaign lost Big Ten Player of the Year to Ohio State University’s Kelsey Mitchell.

When the Buckeyes came to East Lansing to play the Spartans, MSU held Mitchell to only 13 points when she normally averages 23.4 points. This is Mitchell’s second time winning Big Ten Player of the Year, with another collegiate season to play.

The Spartans have earned the No. 6 seed in the upcoming Big Ten Women’s Basketball Tournament, March 1-5. MSU will be playing the winner of the game against No. 11 seed Wisconsin and No. 14 seed Rutgers on March 2. 

Share and discuss “Tori Jankoska named First Team All-Big Ten among others” on social media.