Synchronized skating team uses love for skating in unique sport

<p>The MSU Synchronized Skating team poses for a team photo. Photo courtesy of Dee Head.</p>

The MSU Synchronized Skating team poses for a team photo. Photo courtesy of Dee Head.

Correction: An earlier version of this article said the MSU Synchronized Skating Team has been practicing for six years. It was supposed to say that the team practices for six months each year.

Most professional synchronized skaters first start their careers at a young age, and most tend to start younger than those who participate in other sports.

For kinesiology senior Claire Husaynu, it started when she was 2 years old. Her family would ice skate as a family activity and eventually started to practice synchronized skating when she was 10 years old.

“My mom was an ice skater, and she loved it so much and she would take me all the time,” Husaynu said. “I must have just liked it a lot, because I remember when I was little my mom made me start choosing between different sports and I would always choose ice skating.”

Communication senior Catherine Garber said she was involved figure skating as a child, then found synchronized skating when she was looking for the “next big step” after rising through the ranks in high school.

The MSU Synchronized Skating Team, which has practices for about six months each year, is holding tryouts from April 1-2 at Munn Ice Arena

The team finished with bronze in both the Midwest Sectionals and the U.S. Synchronized Skating National Championships in February 2017. 

“It’s really just the cherry on top to the ending of your season,” Garber said. “It’s the last time you’re going to be out there with that specific group of girls … and to know that you did the best that you could, it’s just the best feeling in the world.”

Pre-law senior and secretary of the team Christine Burke said she first heard of the award-winning team from one of her coaches in high school who had been on the team.

“She talked it up a lot,” Burke said.

Burke said there are aspects of synchronized skating that are different from figure skating. One of them is that skaters must work as a team and depend on other people rather than just themselves or a partner.

“It took awhile to get use to having to rely on other people for things,” Burke said.

Another aspect of synchronized skating is that competition isn't just against other teams. Skaters also compete against their fellow teammates, Husaynu said.

“It’s not like everyone has a spot,” Husaynu said. “You have to learn how to work together with your team … but you’re also competing against your teammates for a spot to skate at competitions.”

Depending on others on the team can be a challenge at times, Garber said.

“You have to think about everything and then multiply it by 16 girls,” Garber said. “You need everyone to not make a mistake the whole time. It’s really a difficult sport.”

Even though synchronized skating can be a difficult sport, Garber said she wouldn’t trade the experiences she has had.

“I’m so thankful now that I’m done with my career and I look back at all the things I got to do, all the memories that I got to gain, all the friendships, I’m so glad that I didn’t give up,” Garber said.

Share and discuss “Synchronized skating team uses love for skating in unique sport” on social media.