Miles Bridges selected as Freshman of the Year, among other honors

Freshman guard and forward Miles Bridges (22) gestures during the second half of the men's basketball game against the University of Wisconsin on Feb. 26, 2017 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Badgers, 84-74.

In a unanimous decision Monday, freshman forward Miles Bridges has been named the Big Ten Freshman of the Year by coaches and media and has also been selected as to the All-Big Ten second-team.

Bridges will join Illinois guard Malcolm Hill, Northwestern's Bryant McIntosh, University of Michigan's Derrick Walton Jr. and Wisconsin's Bronson Koenig as the coaches' second-team selection. Nebraska's Tai Webster was named in Koenig's place in the media's second-team selection.

Bridges will also join Iowa's Jordan Bohannon and Tyler Cook, Penn State's Tony Carr and Minnesota's Amir Coffey in the All-Big Ten Freshman Team. 

Despite missing seven games with an ankle injury, Bridges ranked No. 7 in the conference and led the team in scoring, averaging 16.6 points a game in the regular season — the highest-ever total for any freshman under Tom Izzo. Bridges also ranks No. 5 in the conference in rebounding with 8.3 per contest in the regular season. Bridges shot 48.7 percent from the field and 40.8 percent from 3-point range. 

Bridges, the 6-foot-7 native of Flint, Mich., is the second Spartan to ever earn the conference Freshman of the Year award since it was first handed out in 1986, joining former guard Gary Harris in 2013.

Bridges is the only Spartan freshman to garner All-Big Ten Freshman honors. Fellow forward Nick Ward was given an All-Big Ten honorable mentions by coaches and media. Ward averaged 13.6 points and 6.3 rebounds per game and shot 58.7 percent from the field.

Share and discuss “Miles Bridges selected as Freshman of the Year, among other honors” on social media.