FINAL: Spartan offense stifled in 63-58 loss to Minnesota.

Junior guard Lourawls 'Tum Tum' Nairn Jr. (11) drives the ball to the net during the first half of the game against Minnesota in the third round of the Big Ten Tournament on March 10, 2017 at Verizon Center in Washington D.C. The Golden Gophers were up at half time, 28-26.
Junior guard Lourawls 'Tum Tum' Nairn Jr. (11) drives the ball to the net during the first half of the game against Minnesota in the third round of the Big Ten Tournament on March 10, 2017 at Verizon Center in Washington D.C. The Golden Gophers were up at half time, 28-26. —

WASHINGTON D.C. — The No. 4-seeded Minnesota have advanced to the Big Ten Tournament semifinals after defeating No. 5 MSU Friday, 63-58 at the Verizon Center.

With the loss, MSU has been eliminated from the Big Ten Tournament.

TOP PERFORMERS

Points      Rebounds      Assists
MSU     Bridges (20)      Ward (11)      Goins (3) 
Minnesota      Lynch (16)      Murphy (13)      Mason (3)

Junior guard Lourawls "Tum Tum" Nairn Jr. scored MSU's first basket from the field and laid one up after going coast-to-coast. Minnesota responded with eight unanswered points. The Spartans tied the game at 10 with 13:32 left in the half, after five consecutive points from Bridges — a putback dunk and a 3-pointer from the left wing. 

Bridges' 3-pointer would be the last score from the field for MSU for 4:03 but stayed in the game through free throw shooting. With 7:06 left in the half, MSU and Minnesota were tied at 19. In the minutes to follow MSU missed four of the next five attempts from the field but trailed Minnesota 25-24 with 3:32 left in the half.

Before halftime, Akeem Springs hit a three with 4 seconds left in the half giving Minnesota a 28-26 lead into the break. MSU shot 27.6 percent from the field and 3-of-16 from 3-point range while Minnesota shot 40.0 percent from the floor with two 3-pointers on seven attempts.

After a quick start from the Golden Gophers to start the second half, a three-minute scoring drought allowed for the Spartans to come back within two, 33-31. Reggie Lynch exited the game after fouling Nick Ward with a face injury. Lynch would return shortly after his exit, with 14:58 left in regulation.

Minnesota went on an 8-0 run spanning over 1:41 with 12:50 left in the half after Dupree McBrayer sank a pair of 3-pointers from the right side of the key. Izzo would have to call a timeout to regroup.

After MSU trailed by eight, Murphy was issued his third foul. MSU began feeding the ball inside and driving the lane more. Bridges drew two fouls, and freshman forward Nick Ward drew an and-1 after making a layup to bring MSU within three points with 11:24 to play.

The Spartans tied the game at 49 after Bridges came down with a dunk from sophomore guard Matt McQuaid. MSU took the lead with 5:33 left after McQuaid hit a 3-point field goal from the top of the key. Minnesota would tie it on the next possession, and take a two-point lead shortly after a dunk from Lynch.

Minnesota went on an 8-0 run to take a four-point lead with 2:41 in regulation. A layup from Ward cut Minnesota's lead to four on MSU's next drive. With 56.3 seconds left MSU cut the lead to five points. With 12 seconds remaining, Minnesota's Amir Coffey was fouled and made one, but Nairn hit a deep three with six seconds left making it 61-58.

The Spartans finished the game converting on two of their last eight shots from the field. 

No. 4 Minnesota will play No. 8 Michigan on Saturday in the semifinals.

Share and discuss “FINAL: Spartan offense stifled in 63-58 loss to Minnesota.” on social media.