MSU women's golf coach Stacy Slobodnik-Stoll selected into HOF

Women's golf head coach Stacy Slobodnik, right, talks with junior Sarah Burnham before a shot on Sept. 25, 2016 at Forest Akers West Golf Course. Slobodnik has held the head coaching position at MSU for 19 years.
Women's golf head coach Stacy Slobodnik, right, talks with junior Sarah Burnham before a shot on Sept. 25, 2016 at Forest Akers West Golf Course. Slobodnik has held the head coaching position at MSU for 19 years. —
Photo by Derek VanHorn | and Derek VanHorn The State News

MSU women's golf head coach Stacy Slobodnik-Stoll has been selected to the Michigan Golf Hall of Fame. Slobodnik-Stoll was one of six golfers to receive the award.

"To go into the Michigan Golf Hall of Fame is quite an honor,” Slobodnik-Stoll said in a press release. “I just hope everyone knows I have a lot of coaching and playing time left in me! I’d like to congratulate the entire Hall of Fame class. It’s very exciting to be inducted with Suzy Green-Roebuck, she has been a friend for long time and inspiration for me through my career.”

The other five golfers include: PGA Master Professional Bob Ackerman, PGA Professional Brian Cairns, PGA Tour veteran Tom Gillis, former LPGA Tour player Suzy Green-Roebuck and Alex Ross, who won the U.S. Open 110 years ago.

In her 20 seasons as head coach, Slobodnik-Stoll has helped the Spartans reach 17 NCAA Regional Appearances, 10 trips to the NCAA Championships and five Big Ten titles.

She and the five other inductees will be enshrined on June 3 at the Ferris State University's Katke Golf Club. The 2017 six member cast ties the largest induction class in Michigan Golf Hall of Fame history, according to the press release.

“I’m really humbled looking at the people that are in the Hall of Fame,” Slobodnik-Stoll said. “There are so many great golfers and people involved with the game. It will be a very humbling experience on June 3 and I’m thankful to be a part of the game and to be able to give back.”

A three-year letterwinner at MSU, Slobodnik-Stoll was team captain for two seasons. Upon her graduation in 1994, she played professionally while living in Orlando, Fla. She has qualified for the U.S. Women's Amateur Championship four times and in 2010, she was named the GAM Women's Player of the Decade.

She joins her former coach Mary Fossum, Joyce Kazmierski, Joan Garety and Sue Ertl as fellow Spartans to make it in the Michigan Golf Hall of Fame.

Share and discuss “MSU women's golf coach Stacy Slobodnik-Stoll selected into HOF” on social media.