FINAL: MSU hockey drops game two to Wolverines in shootout, 3-2

Senior defense Rhett Holland (11) attempts to gain control of the puck as he is defended by Michigan forward Adam Winborg (18) during the second period in the game against on Jan. 21, 2016 at Munn Ice Arena. The Spartans were defeated by Wolverines, 2-3.
Senior defense Rhett Holland (11) attempts to gain control of the puck as he is defended by Michigan forward Adam Winborg (18) during the second period in the game against on Jan. 21, 2016 at Munn Ice Arena. The Spartans were defeated by Wolverines, 2-3. —
Photo by Sundeep Dhanjal | and Sundeep Dhanjal The State News

The MSU hockey team (5-15-2, 1-6-1-0 Big Ten) returned to Munn Ice Arena Saturday night after being on the road for over a month as it hosted the University of Michigan (8-12-2, 1-6-1-1 Big Ten) to conclude a two-game home-and-home series.

Neither team could find a way to win in regulation, so the game had to be decided in overtime with the Wolverines winning in a shootout.

Although the Wolverines won the shootout, the game is officially registered as a tie.

Down 2-1 to begin the third period, freshman forward Patrick Khodorenko tied the game with 9:20 left in regulation.

U-M’s Cooper Marody was called for tripping, giving MSU a chance on the man-advantage. Freshman forward Sam Saliba’s backhand shot in the slot was deflected by Khodorenko and sailed past U-M's Zach Nagelvoort with 20 seconds left on the power play tying the game at 2-2.

1:30 into the overtime period, the Spartans went on the power play after U-M’s Nolan De Jong was called for holding. Despite the man-advantage, MSU couldn’t capitalize and the game went into a shootout.

Senior forward Joe Cox, freshman forward Taro Hirose nor Saliba could score on the shootout as U-M’s Cooper Marody scored on Minney ending the game. Michigan recorded an extra point in the Big Ten standings as a result of the win.

In Saturday’s matchup, it was the Wolverines who got on the board first.

Four seconds after senior forward Villiam Haag’s penalty for tripping expired, De Jong’s wrist shot snuck by junior goaltender Ed Minney.

De Jong was fed the puck near the center of the blue line, and his shot in traffic banked off the right post and snuck in past Minney 6:23 into the first period, giving the Wolverines a 1-0 lead.

4:03 after the Wolverines’ opening goal, Dylan Pavelek responded for the Spartans.

Saliba, along the right boards, made a pass to Logan Lambdin. The puck hit Lambdin’s stick, but Lambdin couldn’t gain full control of the puck. Dylan Pavelek then gained possession, and his shot sailed by Nagelvoort tying the game at one.

The Wolverines then broke the tie with 7:27 left in the second period.

U-M’s Evan Allen fed Sam Piazza at the left point for a one-timer slapshot. Piazza’s shot bounced off teammate Alex Kile and led to a goal.

The goal was reviewed as it seemed that Kile may have been in the goal crease, but upon review, the call stood, and U-M took a 2-1 lead.

The Wolverines kept the lead as they went into the locker room at the end of the second period despite the Spartans holding an advantage in shots, 22-16, before ultimately defeating MSU.

MSU will have a bye week next weekend before facing Wisconsin in a two-game home series Feb. 3 and 4. 

Share and discuss “FINAL: MSU hockey drops game two to Wolverines in shootout, 3-2” on social media.