FINAL: Blackmon buries comeback effort with 33 points, MSU falls 82-75

Freshman guard and forward Miles Bridges (22) blocks an attempt at basket by junior guard Josh Newkirk (2) during the men?s basketball game against Indiana on Jan. 21, 2017 at Assembly Hall. The Spartans are down, 30-44.

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — Three after three after three for Indiana's James Blackmon Jr. powers the Indiana Hoosiers (14-6, 4-3 Big Ten) past MSU men's basketball (12-8, 4-3 Big Ten) 82-75 at Assembly Hall in Bloomington, Ind. 

After making his first six shots in the first half, Blackmon would end the first half with 18 points. Fifth-year senior Eron Harris and freshman forward Nick Ward had 11 and eight points respectfully, in the first half. 

Blackmon wasn't done to start the second half, netting another 3-point basket on their first offensive possession. His night would end after scoring 33 points, 11-for-16 from the field. He leads the Hoosiers in scoring so far this season, a team that leads the Big Ten in scoring with 83.4 points per game. 

Just as the Spartans fell down 13 points on the road against Minnesota, they started the second half down 14. Eating away at the Gopher lead and eventually winning in overtime, MSU tried to play comeback hero again against the Hoosiers. With 3:45 left in the second half, MSU pulled a once 20 point Hoosier lead down to just six behind Harris' scoring effort. 

The final three minutes saw an aggressive and hungry MSU team, one that has been lost on the road this season. Time after time, MSU attacked the glass, winding up on the free-throw line. Shooting 19-for-25 as a team from the line, the Spartans kept themselves in the game down the stretch. However, when push came to shove, MSU just couldn't stop Indiana. 

MSU's assist leader, freshman guard Cassius Winston struggled to record a helper in the first half. Down the final 20 minutes, though, he would join the comeback effort, putting Hoosier defenders on skates and finding freshman forward Miles Bridges for an alley-oop dunk and sophomore forward Kenny Goins for a drop-off dunk. He would end his night with five points and three assists. 

Head coach Tom Izzo said the three key players he needs to step up are Goins, sophomore guard Matt McQuaid and Harris. While Harris led the way for the Spartans, finishing with 21 points, Goins would tack on a late game effort. 

The sharp shooter from a season ago, McQuaid dropped easy chest passes on his way to three first half turnovers. In the second half, he would remain on the bench, ending the game with two rebounds but zero points on zero shot attempts. 

Goins would play his usual support role for Ward, but down the stretch, Izzo elected to go with Goins. He would finish with eight points and grab five rebounds in 16 minutes played. 

Bridges would record a double-double, scoring 13 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. He would also lead the team in assists with four. 

MSU will host No. 21 Purdue at home on Jan. 24. That game will tipoff at 7 p.m. and will be televised on ESPN 2. 

Final game stats

MSU

Points - Harris (21)

Rebounds - Bridges (10)

Assists - Bridges (4)

Indiana

Points - Blackmon (31) 

Rebounds - Bryant (6) 

Assists - Newkirk (5) 

Share and discuss “FINAL: Blackmon buries comeback effort with 33 points, MSU falls 82-75” on social media.