Crime during break includes fraud, larceny

“Just because the students and the faculty and staff may be on break, we still have follow-up to do and so that there are some cases that we continued to investigate and we will continue that,” MSU police Capt. Doug Monette said.

Among the numerous arrests, two were for nonaggravated assault on Jan. 5 and Jan. 6. One case of assault and battery is currently active.

Many of the reported crimes are typical of crimes that occur during the school year, such as marijuana possession and larceny.

“The important things during break (are) that we maintain the safety and security of the campus,” Monette said. “We continue patrol, we do foot beat, we check the security of some of the different buildings and the residence halls.”

According to the Clery Crime and Fire Log, which was last updated Jan. 8, there were four incidents of violation of a controlled substance, all for marijuana. From the incidents, three resulted in arrests, on Dec. 23, 2016, Jan. 4. and Jan. 8. One case that is currently active was reported on Jan. 6.

One arrest was made on Dec. 21, 2016 for larceny. While there were two other incidents of larceny, one case is active and one case is inactive, according to the log.

Fraud was also a reoccurring reported crime with three cases of impersonation fraud and one case of fraud. According to Legal Dictionary, impersonation is “the crime of pretending to be another individual in order to deceive others and gain some advantage while fraud is “a false representation of a matter of fact ... that deceives and is intended to deceive another.”

Two impersonation fraud cases and the fraud case are listed as inactive in the Clery Crime Log. One impersonation fraud case is active.

Three alcohol-related crimes also occurred during break. A driver and a passenger were arrested for open containers of alcohol in a vehicle on Jan. 8. Also, one arrest was made on Jan. 1 for the possession of alcoholic liquor while in a motor vehicle.

Other miscellaneous crimes happened during break including, possession of stolen property, concealed firearm in a vehicle, trespassing at Owen Hall and violation of probation at Owen Hall, all resulting in arrests. An incident of indecent exposure is still active.

Share and discuss “Crime during break includes fraud, larceny ” on social media.