Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Letter: Blaze Pizza will be a good option for local vegans

The first time I went to Blaze Pizza was in Evanston, Ill. I was visiting my cousin at Northwestern University and they were having their free pizza opening, as depicted in The State News’ coverage of the planned project. 

I felt like I’d finally found what I was searching for: a fast fried pizza restaurant that allowed me to really custom make my own pizza. When one opened in Frandor I was pretty excited. When I saw Blaze was moving in on Grand River Avenue, I was ecstatic. Blaze makes it easy, but more importantly delicious, to eat vegan pizza.

I know that sounds like quite the turn off — it was for me too when I started playing around with vegan options — but when I learned about the impact my choices can have I didn’t question it. 

I’ve found that many people don’t put extensive thought into what goes on their plate other than the health and diet aspect of what they consume. However, when we look at sustainability, there’s hardly an argument: reducing your meat intake will help achieve a more sustainable food system. 

The main reason for this is currently we actually grow food specifically for the animals in our agriculture industry. Because of this process, the resources, labor and time that has to go into raising animals for agriculture is ridiculously inefficient and ultimately not sustainable. I love seeing dining establishments, like Blaze, give opportunities for people to make smarter and more ethical food decisions. Even if vegan cheese seems a bit too daring for individuals who are just trying to venture into the veg community, I encourage you to try making your own veggie pizza and cut meat out of a few meals a week.

Although it might seem like such a trivial change couldn’t make much of a difference, it’s important to remember that this is all about supply and demand. If you can reduce your meat intake so can your friend, and so on. We can make a huge impact if we work together as a community. If we really want to “go green,” what better way than to make steps toward sustainability and reduce one of the least sustainable products we use on a daily basis? Eating at establishments like Blaze and Chipotle and choosing their more sustainable, veg-friendly options can contribute to one of the most important movements to save the environment and to improve conditions for animals in the United States. Go Green!

Hannah Stoloff is a humanities-pre-law senior.

Share and discuss “Letter: Blaze Pizza will be a good option for local vegans ” on social media.