Diane Selke comes back to MSU to teach at MSU Tennis Center

<p>MSU alumna Diane Selke looks to return the ball back over the net in her days as an MSU tennis player. Photo courtesy of MSU&nbsp;Athletic Communications&nbsp;</p>

MSU alumna Diane Selke looks to return the ball back over the net in her days as an MSU tennis player. Photo courtesy of MSU Athletic Communications 

The MSU Tennis Center has brought back one of its own, alumna Diane Selke, as a tennis professional and instructor within the MSU Tennis Center’s community.

“Her expertise, knowledge and enthusiasm will have an immediate impact on all of our programs,” MSU Tennis Center manager Heather Mactaggart said in a press release. “This will allow us to continue to provide high-quality products and services to meet the needs of the university as well as the Lansing community.”

Selke said she was looking to come back to East Lansing to be a part of the MSU tennis community.

“You hear about Michigan State so much. ... (I want to help) the program, make a difference and make this the best adult junior program open to the public,” Selke said. “I liked all the branding MSU was doing.”

Selke is a certified tennis professional from the United States Professional Tennis Association, USPTA, and has been a USPTA master professional since 1996. She has been teaching tennis since she graduated from MSU in 1979.

However, when Selke graduated in 1979 with a bachelor’s degree in science and physical education, her original plan wasn’t to be a tennis professional.

“When we started here at MSU we were in demand, but by the four years when we graduated we were in supply,” Selke said. “So we couldn’t find a job anywhere.”

Selke said this led her to work for one year with her sister, fellow MSU alumna Sue Selke — who was the first tennis player, male or female, to be inducted into the MSU Athletics Hall of Fame — before branching out on her own.

“I said, ‘Hey I love my sister, but I need to be me, go explore, travel and make my own name,’” Selke said.

But Diane’s love for her sister is what made her want to go to MSU in 1975 and then come back after spending 35 years in Colorado, she said.

“I have green in my blood,” Selke said.

Selke said though she didn’t want to teach at the same club as her sister, Court One Athletic Club, she wanted to stay in the same area to be close to her.

“We get to see each other, but we get to do different programs,” Selke said.

Sue said even though both of them teach tennis, they both have different methods of teaching the sport and share ideas on how to better their teaching skills.

Selke taught previously in Denver at the Valley Country Club, along with many other clubs, and is also the vice president of USPTA. She is also the head of both the awards committee and the diversity and inclusion committee within the USPTA.

She is currently sitting on the board of directors for the USPTA. She is the only woman member on the board and is the only woman in Michigan who holds the title of a Master Pro credential, she said.

“It’s like getting your Ph.D. in tennis.” Selke said.

However, Selke said she aspires to do more within the USPTA and to move up from her current status.

“I have goals of being the second woman president of the entire organization, hopefully,” Selke said. “I have to work my way up.”

Share and discuss “Diane Selke comes back to MSU to teach at MSU Tennis Center” on social media.