FINAL: MSU football loses to Illinois for seventh-straight loss

Head coach Mark Dantonio walks back to the sidelines after talking with the team during a time out during the game against Michigan on Oct. 29, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. The Spartans were defeated by the Wolverines, 32-23.

The MSU football team came into Memorial Stadium to face Illinois still without a Big Ten win in the first weekend of November, something unheard of in the Dantonio era of Spartan football. They left Champaign, Ill still winless in conference play –– shooting themselves in the foot once again.

Junior quarterback Damion Terry tried to lead a Spartan comeback, trailing by four with the ball at their own 39-yard line and just 1:35 left. Junior running back Gerald Holmes picked up 35 yards on the drive, and on fourth and three from the Illinois 15-yard line, Terry tried scrambling to no avail.

MSU led 6-0 right before the half before the Illini drove 73 yards and scored a 14-yard touchdown from running back Kendrick Foster. MSU only gave up 99 yards in the first half total, and the offense missed a plethora of opportunities to get in the end zone.

MSU’s first six offensive drives found a way into Illinois territory, only to come away with nine points after a third field goal from senior kicker Michael Geiger to take a 9-7 lead early in the third quarter. Illinois came out with a big time answer as Foster took a handoff up the gut of MSU’s defense 64 yards for a touchdown.

Foster was the Illini’s big offensive threat all game, finishing with 146 yards and two touchdowns on 17 carries.

A fumble from sophomore LJ Scott deep in their own territory resulted in three more points from Illinois, and the Spartans suddenly found themselves down 17-9. Fifth-year senior quarterback Tyler O’Connor, who go the start with redshirt-freshman Brian Lewerke out for the season, decided to take matters into his own hands.

Two big pass plays to tight end Josiah Price helped spark a 10-play, 84-yard touchdown drive as junior running back Gerald Holmes found the end zone on his second carry of the game. O’Connor then zipped one to senior receiver R.J. Shelton for the two-point conversion, tying the game at 17 heading into the fourth quarter.

Illinois responded again with a touchdown drive to start the fourth quarter, and MSU’s ensuing possession saw O’Connor get knocked out of the game with a head injury. Junior quarterback Damion Terry came in and finished that drive, resulting in Geiger’s fourth field goal of the game.

MSU got the ball back at their own 48-yard line with just over five minutes left and down four points. Holmes was able to break a big run, but the offense sputtered after a Price drop in the end zone. On fourth down and three from the Illini 13-yard line, Terry scrambled around and found Shelton for a touchdown in the back of the end zone.

O’Connor finished the afternoon going 23-of-35 for 265 yards. Terry ended the afternoon 2-for-5 with 24 yards and a touchdown, as well as 15 rushing yards. A number of receivers for MSU had over 50 yards receiving, but Shelton was MSU’s leading receiver, snagging seven catches for 80 yards and a touchdown. Price also had a solid day, hauling in six catches for 65 yards.

Illinois, trailing by three, took advantage of two pass interference calls on sophomore cornerback Tyson Smith and Illini quarterback Jeff George Jr. found Sam Mays for the game-winning 16-yard touchdown with just 1:35 to go. George Jr. was 13-29 for 140 yards and two touchdowns.

The Illini defense bent on MSU’s final drive but did not break as they held off a Spartan comeback.

Penalties were a killer for MSU yet again, committing 10 penalties for 89 yards, none bigger than Smith’s two calls.It is something they will have to clean up heading into the Spartans next game, where take on Rutgers next weekend at Spartan Stadium. 

Share and discuss “FINAL: MSU football loses to Illinois for seventh-straight loss” on social media.