Lansing's Ronald McDonald House to not use Ronald McDonald in homecoming parade

<p>The MSU Dance team walks in the Homecoming Parade on Oct. 2, 2015, on Abbott Road in East Lansing. </p>

The MSU Dance team walks in the Homecoming Parade on Oct. 2, 2015, on Abbott Road in East Lansing.

After a series of clown sightings in Michigan and across the country, McDonald’s is rethinking their use of the Ronald McDonald character.

Clown encounters in Detroit and Sterling Heights, Mich. have left some community members shaken, especially after a 9-year-old boy was injured, according to WILX.

The Lansing Ronald McDonald House is a nonprofit organization that provides temporary housing for families of children hospitalized at Sparrow Hospital, according to their website.

Ronald McDonald House usually sends a Ronald McDonald character to march in MSU’s homecoming parade, but this year the parade will go on without the famous clown, a McDonald’s public relations representative said.

"We’ve reduced Ronald’s participation in community events,” the McDonald’s representative Ginny Seyferth said.

The change was made in order to be sensitive to the climate on campus, but the Ronald McDonald House will still be supporting MSU, Seyferth said. 

“We are cheering on the Spartans,” she said.

Share and discuss “Lansing's Ronald McDonald House to not use Ronald McDonald in homecoming parade” on social media.