ASMSU vice president for internal administration resigns

International relations junior Lorenzo Santavicca, center, prepares for an ASMSU meeting on Aug. 30, 2016 at the Student Services Building at 556 E. Circle Drive. Santavicca is the current president of ASMSU.
International relations junior Lorenzo Santavicca, center, prepares for an ASMSU meeting on Aug. 30, 2016 at the Student Services Building at 556 E. Circle Drive. Santavicca is the current president of ASMSU. —
Photo by Derek VanHorn | and Derek VanHorn The State News

On Thursday, Oct. 13, former ASMSU vice president for internal administration Jason Porter resigned from his position, according to an ASMSU press release. Porter’s resignation resulted from his views not being aligned with ASMSU’s leadership, the press release said.

“I believe it is best for me to step aside from the organization I love,” Porter said in his letter of resignation. “Unfortunately, the organization’s views and my views as a concerned student do not align, and because of that, it is best I resign my position. My view for ASMSU’s future and the current leadership’s view for ASMSU do not run parallel, and I believe my experience and knowledge cannot be of assistance to ASMSU and the student body any longer.”

Porter was a member of ASMSU since August 2013, and joined the freshman class council before even stepping foot on campus, he said. He was involved in numerous committees and councils, some of which included involvement as a class council member, a general assembly representative for the College of Social Science and as the former Academic Affairs Committee Chair and other positions since 2013.

“ASMSU will be moving forward and we hope to find a replacement that brings as much dedication to the organization and passion on current issues at MSU as Porter did,” ASMSU President Lorenzo Santavicca said in the press release. “ASMSU is standing together through this time to continue to be the voice of students.”

ASMSU will hold a special election to appoint a replacement, but details about when the election packets will be available and when the election will take place have not been released yet.

ASMSU also recently elected Cassandra Shavrnoch as their new vice president for academic affairs after previous vice president Tyler Orlando resigned due to medical issues. This will be the second resignation within the Office of the President this semester.

Share and discuss “ASMSU vice president for internal administration resigns” on social media.