MSU women's basketball to bring mix of youth and returning leaders

Head coach Suzy Merchant talk about her senior players during the game against Ohio State on Feb. 27, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes, 107-105 in triple overtime.
Head coach Suzy Merchant talk about her senior players during the game against Ohio State on Feb. 27, 2016 at Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Buckeyes, 107-105 in triple overtime. —
Photo by Sundeep Dhanjal | and Sundeep Dhanjal The State News

Last season, the Spartans made a run to the NCAA Tournament, but fell short with a two-point loss against Mississippi State University in the second round. At the time, the team was led by upperclassmen Jasmine Hines, Akyah Taylor, Aerial Powers, Tori Jankoska and Branndais Agee.

Powers was a huge part of the team’s dynamic, but now she’s moved on to playing for the USA Basketball Select team and in the WNBA. Merchant said the transition couldn’t have come at a better time for the team, because MSU needed to get by without Powers sooner rather than later.

“(Powers) is a great player, there’s no question about it,” Merchant said. “She just did so many things for us on both ends of the floor. That’s one thing about the Europe trip that I thought was perfect timing — we had to learn to play without her, and other kids had to step up and be ready to give their best and certainly get a different kind of gel and chemistry out there.”

The main core of seniors departed from MSU after last season, leaving the Spartans with plenty of young depth heading into the season. Young players like sophomore center Hana Vesela, along with redshirt-freshman forwards Nathy Dambo and Victoria Gaines, could be players to watch for.

MSU will also see the likes of young leaders in sophomore center Jenna Allen. Allen was one of the only freshmen from last season to get consistent playing time. She had a career-high of 23 minutes played against the University of Maryland and 14 points scored during the University of Nebraska game last year. Allen was an asset off the bench during the Big Ten Tournament last year against Ohio State University with 7 points, 5 rebounds and 2 assists. At the end of the season, Allen received the Pat Canning Coaches Award.

The team’s freshmen class consists of forwards Mardrekia Cook and Nia Hollie and guard Taryn McCutcheon. McCutcheon was a three-time first team state honoree in West Virginia, before finishing her high school career at East Lansing High School. McCutcheon is ranked No. 71 in the country by ESPN’s Hoopgurlz and No. 70 in Dan Olson’s Collegiate Girls Basketball Report.

“(McCutcheon) is a huge addition to our team,” Agee said. “I mean, she can shoot the ball from the 3-point line, she can post up, so it’s going to be hard for the four, five man to check her. We’re excited about what she can do for this team.”

One of the players likely to lead the Spartans is Jankoska. Jankoska currently ranks as the fourth leading all-time 3-point shooter and will have a heavy workload with Powers missing.

Merchant said Jankoska is the one for the job and she brings a work ethic, toughness and energy as well as being the voice of the team.

“Tori (Jankoska) is like a natural-born leader, ever since she’s been here as freshman,” Merchant said. “She’s a feisty little thing, competitive. ... Her big thing is she has to learn to speak everybody’s language. Tori’s so competitive sometimes she speaks one language with one voice all the time, and that isn’t always going to work.”

Both the men’s and women’s basketball teams will open at the Breslin Center to showcase Midnight Madness on Oct. 14. The event is open to the public, and admission is free. Doors are set to open at 8:30 p.m.

“I love the whole thing (Midnight Madness),” Jankoska said. “It’s so cool to have the whole arena that’s filled to see us and the boys. t’s like a huge production, we’re doing a dance this year and it’s just a chance for people to come and see us and learn about us, and get some more fans in our gym.”

MSU women’s basketball will host Northwood University in an exhibition match on Nov. 6.

Share and discuss “MSU women's basketball to bring mix of youth and returning leaders” on social media.