Former ASMSU VP calls for president to resign

The Associated Students of Michigan State University, or ASMSU, has been consumed with controversy in the past weeks. 

Students from Culturas de las Razas Unidas, or CRU, protested at ASMSU's meeting on Oct. 6 when a member of CRU was censored after arguments broke out on a Facebook post announcing candidate letter invitations. 

Following the perceived mishandling, former Vice President for Internal Administration Jason Porter said he had enough and chose to resign from the organization.

Porter, who resigned on Oct. 13, said after the managing of the CRU incident and the censoring of minority students he and other members of the Office of the President called for ASMSU President Lorenzo Santavicca's resignation. 

"I felt as though we should have put out an apology letter immediately and we did not do that," Porter said. "It took us 48 hours to put out an apology letter, which to me is unacceptable."

Porter said he was not happy with the direction ASMSU went after Santavicca was elected.

"We are the voice of the students, and I felt as though we let a large portion of our students down," Porter said.

Amid the recent shortcomings, ASMSU's future and leadership has been called into question, especially by CORES and COPS groups.

"When you have the president, who I don't think understands the situation, I think it reflects on the whole organization," Porter said.

Porter said his main concern is people have lost focus at ASMSU and the uncertainty threatens the organization's future.

"I understand that people are worried about student government right now, and I'm worried, too," Porter said.

After recent events, Porter said he believes Santavicca should resign immediately in order to let the organization move forward and move on from recent problems and leadership mishaps.

"I asked for Lorenzo's resignation twice," Porter said. "I still ask for Lorenzo's resignation."

Another vice president, who currently sits on the Office of the President and has chosen to remain anonymous, confirmed that other VPs called for Santavicca to resign, but he refused. Not all of the VPs spoke on the matter, the VP said.

"For me, it was a lack of transparency (that made us ask for his resignation) and I think a lot of us felt the same way," the VP said. "And that is something he ran on in his campaign."

The VP said decisions were made in which Santavicca did not see the full picture, but instead individual things.

Porter concluded that ASMSU does good work and he hopes to see new leadership in order to bring ASMSU back to its roots of student advocacy.

"The future of ASMSU is concerning because I don't think they really see what the issue is here," Porter said. "I don't think we are fighting for students right now, unfortunately."

Santavicca responded to the call for his resignation with this statement:

“Over the past few weeks the Office of the President has met as result of some the concerns that were raised. We sat down and collaborated together and made a plan of action of moving forward on things relating to the organization as a whole, relating to transparency and accountability. My commitment personally as president and being more communicative with my team and the general assembly and the rest of the team was willing to see that forward. However, Jason was not necessarily satisfied with that. It is unfortunate that he decided to make the decision he did, however I’m sure the organization will be moving forward. There's always been some disagreement between Jason and myself throughout the year. There has always been an option for open communication between us, and I don't think he pursued or trusted that I was willing to listen to him."

Share and discuss “Former ASMSU VP calls for president to resign” on social media.