Alex's Great State Race raises more than $36,000

Business management junior Michael Stass adjusts the American flag while MSU and University of Michigan ROTC cadets stand behind him after finishing Alex's Great State Race on Oct. 28, 2016 outside of Demonstration Hall. MSU and U-M ROTC cadets joined together to run 64 miles from U-M's campus to MSU's campus while passing the game balls between cadets to honor Alex Powell, an MSU freshman who died in 2011.
Business management junior Michael Stass adjusts the American flag while MSU and University of Michigan ROTC cadets stand behind him after finishing Alex's Great State Race on Oct. 28, 2016 outside of Demonstration Hall. MSU and U-M ROTC cadets joined together to run 64 miles from U-M's campus to MSU's campus while passing the game balls between cadets to honor Alex Powell, an MSU freshman who died in 2011. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

Although it was rivalry weekend, Spartans and Wolverines found a reason to come together. 

Friday at 4:30 a.m. students from the MSU and U-M ROTC programs set off for Alex's Great State Race. The race is an annual event, which honors former MSU student Alex Powell, who died of a rare form of cancer in 2011. 

At 1:40 p.m., MSU and U-M ROTC runners arrived at Demonstration Hall with guests cheering them on at the finish line.

MSU ROTC cadet and general management junior Michael Stass carried the American flag through the finish line.

"Being able to hold the flag the whole way through was just a great moment for me personally, it was a great experience," Stass said. "This is my first time doing it. I didn’t know this amount of people actually showed up to the finish line. That was awesome, seeing everyone cheer the whole team on."

As guest circled around Demonstration Hall, ROTC students from both universities stood in formation in front of the podium as guest speakers presented. Together, MSU and U-M delivered the game ball to MSU Athletics Director Mark Hollis.

"Any time you as an individual can do something special for someone else, that’s the true mark of a great American," Hollis said as he received the game ball. "We appreciate all of you being here today, all the contributions that you’ve made to make this program a success."

Alex's Great State Race is a tradition of the MSU and U-M rivalry in a new way, with each institution working together to bring awareness to make quality education accessible to all.

"It started out from just giving gratitude for what this department did for him so I really didn’t start it out wanting to do something to have his legacy move on, but for that I’m proud," Juliana Powell, Alex's mother, said. "That was just an unexpected bonus here. It was really to bring awareness to the (Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities) and the University of Michigan."

Alex's Great State Race has helped raise $36,871 for the Resource Center for Persons with Disabilities at MSU and the Services for Students with Disabilities at U-M.

Alex Powell received treatment from the University of Michigan Comprehensive Cancer Center every 21 days. Because of this, Powell met a young man who was starting classes at University of Michigan the exact same year. They were both freshman.

"They started every 21 days and they were diagnosed within days of each other and his experience was totally different," Juliana Powell said. "He didn’t have the support that Alex had, he struggled with his college experience. ... U-M has that program, he just wasn’t aware of it and it was really sad."

Alex's Great State Race helps bring awareness to resources available at both universities for students with disabilities.

"Our lives changed when Alex was diagnosed with cancer," Juliana Powell said.

Learning Disabilities and Attention Deficit State program faculty Shani Feyen, who was a chronic specialist for Alex Powell, is the reason Juliana Powell started Alex's Great State Race, Juliana Powell said.

"She also took care of me as a mother, knowing that he was taken care of ... I don’t even know if the Resource Center realizes that by taking care of those students, they’re taking care of a family," Juliana Powell said. "I always remembered that and I wanted to do something to give back after Alex passed away. ... I needed something to keep my mind going, and this is what happened."

Share and discuss “Alex's Great State Race raises more than $36,000” on social media.