Izzo: "I think we’ve built a damn good culture here"

Head coach Tom Izzo reacts to a play during the first half of the game on Feb. 28, 2016 at the Breslin Center.  The Spartans defeated the Nittany Lions 88-57.
Head coach Tom Izzo reacts to a play during the first half of the game on Feb. 28, 2016 at the Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Nittany Lions 88-57. —
Photo by Carly Geraci | and Carly Geraci The State News

MSU basketball head coach Tom Izzo addressed the media Friday prior to the team’s first official practice of the 2016-17 season.

Izzo, now a Hall of Famer, will have seven freshmen on the roster this season, and some will play key roles, if the team is to defend its Big Ten title. With the regular season approaching, Izzo said he’s already seen progress from upperclassmen returning from injury and the highly-ranked freshman class. Izzo also said this year’s team will have the toughest stretch of schedule the MSU basketball program has ever seen. Here are some key takeaways from the press conference.

Early Start

Izzo started the press conference lightheartedly and addressed the nature of early practices. Izzo said with each coming season training camp seems to get earlier every season.

“This is so early for me, if the calendar changes anymore we’ll be starting in August,” Izzo joked. “But it’s exciting to be going it, and with football being in the middle of things it seems like it's too early for basketball but at the same time, that’s what the rules are. It seems early to start, but we’re going to have three practices here and take a day or two off, kind of going over how we’re going. I’ve been real pleased with our guys so far, we’ve spent some time with them.”

Proud of the chemistry and culture

Izzo told the media in recent years he’s been able to help build relationships with former and current players, and that this season the team’s overall chemistry has found new heights. Izzo said former players like Denzel Valentine have been able to pave the way for a winning culture at MSU.

Izzo said that established team leaders like junior guard Lourawls "Tum Tum" Nairn Jr. have taken members of the freshman class under his wing, and acclimate them to life in East Lansing.

“I think we’ve built a damn good culture here,” Izzo said. “And the culture is going to have its flaws here and there, but the culture here I think is special. You get guys buying in here, our former guys led the way, that’s why you never want to forget them. I’ve seen big growth in that direction from the freshmen in that area, and I do give ‘Tum’ (Lourawls Nairn Jr.) a lot of credit, he’s been incredible.”

Returning players returning from injuries

Izzo said sophomore guard Matt McQuaid, redshirt-sophomore forward Kenny Goins, and fifth-year senior forward Ben Carter have all been battling injuries and are working their way back into preseason practices.

“McQuaid seems to be bouncing back quick,” Izzo said. “Kenny (Goins) really bouncing back quickly because he has some experience. We’ve been pleased with Ben (Carter), but he’s nowhere (ready) physically, he had almost eight months off.”

Progress all around the board

Freshmen on the team, like Cassius Winston and Miles Bridges, are two of the seven players who make up Izzo’s freshman class, and have been highly regarded as one of the best freshman classes in the country. Izzo said he’s already seen progress with the freshman.

“They’re a lot more talkative then I thought they’d be,” Izzo said. “I thought Miles (Bridges) would be quiet, I thought Cassius (Winston) would be quiet, they still have a long ways to go. They’re willing to work on what they’re not good at and I’ve seen a lot more defensive effort from them.”

Playing time for a number of players will be tough to gauge, Izzo said, and that a number of players will be important "x-factors" for the team moving forward.

“I think McQuaid is a big x-factor here because he might be our best shooter and he’s been out for so long, but he’s coming back pretty good,” Izzo said. “And Cassius (Winston) brings something we haven’t had in a long time. Denzel (Valentine) had a high basketball IQ, and Cassius’ is off the charts. … The x-factor guy could be a guy like Goins, who we need to be very versatile and do a lot of things.”

A tough schedule

MSU will start the season against the University of Arizona, but the game will be played in Honolulu, Hawaii as a part of the Armed Forces Classic. From there the Spartans will also travel to Madison Square Garden in New York, Atlantis, Bahamas, and Durham, NC to take on Duke all during the month of November. Izzo called the stretch a brutal one, but one that will make the team stronger in the long-run.

“The schedule is a concern,” Izzo said. “I think we figured out 13,000 miles in 18 or 19 days. I don’t know who’s done that from NBA to anybody, it just worked out that way … If anybody wants to make an excuse for it go right ahead, but I’m going to tell you the reality of it — we are in for the most brutal 20 days in the history of Michigan State basketball. When you look at travel, teams played and youth, the exciting thing is though, the young guys tell me that’s why they came.”

MSU will kickoff their preseason play with an exhibition game against Northwood University at 7 p.m. on Oct. 27 at Breslin Center.

Share and discuss “Izzo: "I think we’ve built a damn good culture here"” on social media.