MSU's rocky start could cast shadow over season ahead

Senior center Kodi Kieler, left, congratulates senior tight end Josiah Price during the home football game against Furman on Sept. 2, 2016 at Spartan Stadium.  Price caught the ball and scored in the third quarter of the game.
Senior center Kodi Kieler, left, congratulates senior tight end Josiah Price during the home football game against Furman on Sept. 2, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. Price caught the ball and scored in the third quarter of the game.

He doesn’t dwell too much on wins — even closer than expected ones.

He stepped to the podium delivered his thoughts, fielded questions, drew some laughter, avoided specifying injuries and left the room to prepare for the next game 15 days away.

“On the football game, first thing I will say is they all count one,” Dantonio said in his opening statement, noting the result of the game as the most important outcome of the night.

He’s watched enough football in 60 years to know that questions after a close win are better than fielding questions about a stunning upset.

“You know we came in and did what we had to do I guess to win a football game,” Dantonio said.

Win as MSU did and as calm as Dantonio was following the win, it ignited puzzling questions across the country about just how good MSU really is.

STRUGGLING WITH INCONSISTENCY

A quick fire start for the Spartans gave way to sluggish play dotted with drive-stalling penalties, drive-prolonging miscues, surprise plays, conservative offense and a near upset bid ended by the outstretched hand of sophomore linebacker Andrew Dowell in the fourth quarter.

MSU looked hot from the gate. Stepping onto the field for the first time at Spartan Stadium as the starting quarterback, Tyler O’Connor commandeered a seven-play, 76-yard drive, throwing just once as LJ Scott churned through the Furman defense en route to a one-yard rushing touchdown.

But that drive would be the last of effortless drives for the Spartans during the first quarter, and nearly for the first half until O’Connor lead an eight-play, 57-yard drive in nearly 3 minutes and 30 seconds in the later stages of the second quarter that ended with a 13-yard touchdown pass into the hands of sophomore wide receiver Felton Davis III.

MSU struggled not with Furman, but with itself, incurring costly penalties that stalled drives and thwarted attempts to secure the victory earlier in the game.

Multiple players and coaches reiterated the line “shooting themselves in the foot,” putting the blame squarely on their mistakes.

“We stopped ourselves more than they stopped us I think,” O’Connor said, alluding to the penalties picked up by the Spartan offense.

Fifth-year senior tight end Josiah Price picked up two penalties, including a 15 yard personal foul that sent a drive into Furman territory.

The ensuing pass only picked up 15 yards, forcing a punt on fourth and seven.

Later in the second quarter a holding call on MSU stalled another drive in Furman territory, frustrating an offense designed to be conservative in the wake of a meeting with Notre Dame.

Even as the offense sputtered under its own issues, the defense held strong through much of the half, allowing only 39 yards in Furman’s first five drives before relinquishing 72 yards and a field goal on Furman’s final drive of the half.

After tough defending on receivers, the secondary yielded seven pass completions, setting up a first and goal for Furman at the MSU goal line.

“I thought we were in good position in defense of them but nevertheless they hit some of those,” Dantonio said of Furman’s offensive attack. “Then I think the penalties really hurt us. We had numerous times where we were going to get off the field and there is a penalty or there is a first down. They were big penalties.

“They weren’t small penalties of five yards. These were 15 yard penalties that changed the nature of the down and distance and sort of put us behind the eight ball a little bit but some we were able to overcome, some we weren’t.”

The secondary, on the strength of back-to-back Darian Hicks pass breakups, held Furman out of the endzone during the second quarter, though the defensive line couldn’t close on Furman quarterback P.J. Blazejowski quick enough to disrupt passes as it had earlier in the game.

Pass interference calls on fifth-year senior cornerback Hicks prolonged drives for Furman that weren’t turned into points, but might very well be against stronger competition.

“Well I’m certainly pleased with a win, but I’m disappointed with, mostly, the penalties,” co-offensive coordinator Dave Warner said. “I heard Josiah Price talking about it. That’s certainly a big thing that we need to take care of. We cannot hurt ourselves, whether it be with penalties or with missed assignments, there were a few out there that hurt us.”

A fumble on the handoff by redshirt-freshman Darrell Stewart, Jr. on the first offensive possession for MSU in the third quarter left Furman on the MSU 35-yard line.

MSU was able to hold the Paladins to a field goal then march 58 yards for a touchdown in five plays. Seeming to pull away from the Paladins, the Spartans relinquished run after run through the defensive line and another holding call on MSU gave Furman the opportunity to find MSU territory quicker and eventually punch in a touchdown.

MSU responded with runs by Scott, but an ill-advised pass by O’Connor picked off by Furman’s Byron Johnson set up Furman for a chance to tie the scores.

Dowell came up with a diving one-handed grab seconds later to stop the tying bid. The ensuing possession saw a plethora of runs and then a 12-yard strike from O’Connor to fifth-year senior tight end Jamal Lyles to put the game away for good.

BRIGHT SPOTS IN AN UGLY GAME

The excess of miscues by MSU prevented the rout of Furman many had predicted.

As one reporter called it during postgame, MSU’s attempt to stay “vanilla” — staging a bland offense in order to reveal little to Notre Dame — might have been one of the few positives for the Spartans.

O’Connor put in a silent 190-yard passing performance, which included hitting 13-of-18 passes and three touchdowns. Scott carried the ball 20 times for 105 yards and a touchdown. Fifth-year senior receiver Monty Madaris collected five passes for 85 yards and a near score.

The bright spots were swept under the rug by the final score, causing many to dwell on MSU’s weaknesses rather than the positives of a rather solid performance at many positions that only have room for growth.

“You know, always early in the season, we get a lot better going week to week so you know like I said, we’re going to get in the film room, see what we can improve on,” fifth-year senior safety Demetrious Cox said. “Improve on the little things, and then prepare for Notre Dame.”

The linebacking unit, highly touted coming into the season, made 25 tackles backing up the defensive line and showing speed and strength most of the night, though at times looked caught off guard with Furman’s running ability.

“We weren’t expecting, to be honest, hardly any of that stuff they threw at us,” fifth-year senior linebacker Riley Bullough said.

AN EYE TO NOTRE DAME AND BEYOND

Top teams fell in week one, unsettling a balance that many perceived would hold. Notre Dame, picked as the preseason No. 10 team in the country, lost 50-47 to unranked Texas in double overtime.

But even with the loss, the Fighting Irish are dangerous on offense, though their secondary gave up 260 passing yards.

With both teams having something to prove, the Spartans’ matchup at Notre Dame sets up what could possibly one of the more interesting games.

Notre Dame will have another chance to play before taking on the Spartans, who head to a bye week.

MSU has adjustments to make and will implement them in practice heading into South Bend. But each day is a chance to improve. It’s something 30-plus years of coaching has taught Dantonio well.

“Hopefully the second game usually you are little bit more loose, a little bit more experienced,” Dantonio said. “But again, a great challenge awaits us in South Bend, but we’ve got time.”

And time, they’ll use.

Share and discuss “MSU's rocky start could cast shadow over season ahead” on social media.