Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Gas leak in E.L. causes evacuation of North campus

Sparty's service manager Michael Harding, second from left, talks to MSU Police officers Dave Isabell, left, and N. Spyke, right on August 1, 2016 on Abbot Road. They were discussing evacuations due to a gas leak nearby.

A gas leak in the city of East Lansing caused the evacuation of a number of buildings in the northern part of campus early Monday afternoon, according to an MSU alert.

The leak on the intersection of Abbott Road and Grand River Avenue was caused by construction crews working at the site of the recently demolished 303 Abbott Road building when they struck an underground pipe, confirmed East Lansing Fire Department Fire Inspector Don Carter.

“Albert Avenue, between Abbot Road and Evergreen Avenue, and Evergreen Avenue, between Albert Avenue and Grand River Avenue” were temporarily closed, according to a press release from the City of East Lansing.

Shortly before 12:45 p.m. the intersection of Abbot Road and Grand River Avenue reopened. Carter later added that, to the best of his knowledge, they were going to keep those roads closed as Consumers Energy crews worked on the leak.

The Union, Mary Mayo, Campbell Hall, Landon, Yakeley Hall, Gilchrist Hall, Wills House and Williams Hall were evacuated. Individuals in those buildings were told to proceed to IM Circle and MSU police asked residents to stay clear of the area.

Union employees said police evacuated the building out of precautionary reasons.

“Basically we smelled the gas and noticed that channel six said that there was a gas leak,” Union Facilities Supervisor Celia Cosme-Brooks said. “So we didn’t really pay any mind to it but then MSU police felt it was better to evacuate.”

Roughly half an hour after the first alert was sent out, MSU announced the issue was fixed and were allowing people back into the evacuated buildings.

Share and discuss “Gas leak in E.L. causes evacuation of North campus ” on social media.