Behind the scenes with Emily Regan as she prepares for 2016 Summer Olympics

<p>MSU women's rowing celebrate with teammates after winning the gold medal in the women's eight event at the 2015 World Rowing Championships in Aiguebelette, France. Emily Regan is on the far right. STATE NEWS FILE PHOTO</p>

MSU women's rowing celebrate with teammates after winning the gold medal in the women's eight event at the 2015 World Rowing Championships in Aiguebelette, France. Emily Regan is on the far right. STATE NEWS FILE PHOTO

Regan was at a team meeting in the Princeton University boathouse when she heard she was going to compete in the Olympic Games.“It was a great feeling,” Regan said. “There’s so much work that goes into making the team over your career. So making the team is so exciting and lifts a huge weight off of your shoulders.”

Regan was once a typical MSU college student. She majored in hospitality business and was looking to find her place on campus. Soon enough, she was drawn to the MSU women’s rowing team and began her rowing career in 2006. Little did she know, it would become a huge part of her life.

Regan, like most walk-ons, had to learn a new sport and develop a passion for the work that would ultimately make her successful.

“Emily was a gifted athlete while rowing at MSU,” MSU rowing coach Matt Weise said. “She had times where she struggled and other times where she flourished.”

Regan left her mark on the MSU women’s rowing team– In 2008, she became the second Spartan rower in MSU rowing history to take home the Varsity Eight title, along with the Big Ten title.

“My favorite memory from my time at MSU was beating the University of Virginia to make the Grand Final at the NCAA championships in 2008,” Regan said. “We had a really fun boat that year with great leadership from the upperclassmen so it was really special to make it into the top six boats in the country.”

Regan graduated from MSU in 2010 and since has been training at the U.S. training center at Princeton. At the U.S. training center, she endures a high pressure and workload system where athletes are constantly evaluated against each other.

On May 29, Regan and the U.S. Women’s Eight placed first in the final for the 2016 World Rowing Cup II in Lucerne, Switzerland. With a time of 06:01.120 and the United Kingdom coming in second with a time of 06:01.950.

Though Regan thrives on the water and was born with the talent to be a U.S. Olympian, she does have to add fuel to the fire.

“I definitely have a strict routine that I follow, it mostly just involves a lot of eating, rowing and sleeping,” Regan said.

The amount of rigorous training Regan does for rowing requires a massive amount of calories, but despite the intense training, Regan has a positive attitude and is filled with excitement to compete.

“So far things have been great in Rio,” Regan said. “The views from the Athlete Village are beautiful and you’re constantly surrounded by the top athletes in the world from so many different sports along with the top coaches and support staff in the world.”

Recently, there has been a lot of talk about the water in Rio and how the Olympian swimmers have to compete in it.

However, Regan has only positive things to say about the set-up Rio has for the U.S. Rowing team.

“I think the rowers are actually very fortunate in Rio,” Regan said. “Our venue is amazing. It is right downtown surrounded by city life and natural beauty. The famous Christ of Redeemer statue even overlooks our venue.”

Regan will be rowing Monday, Aug. 8 in the women’s coxed eight for the U.S. rowing team, while her Spartan family will be rooting for her in the States.

“I’m lucky to have an incredibly amazing support system, many of whom will be in Rio to cheer me on,” Regan said. “MSU is the most beautiful campus in the country, but the people are what really (makes) it a special place.”

Share and discuss “Behind the scenes with Emily Regan as she prepares for 2016 Summer Olympics” on social media.