Dantonio: "I've got something left in the tank"

Head coach Mark Dantonio smiles after responding to a question from the media during Media Day on Aug. 8, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. Media Day allowed for the media to converse with the team's coaches and players.
Head coach Mark Dantonio smiles after responding to a question from the media during Media Day on Aug. 8, 2016 at Spartan Stadium. Media Day allowed for the media to converse with the team's coaches and players. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

Monday marked MSU head football coach Mark Dantonio’s 10th annual media day since taking over the Spartans in 2006. A lot has changed with MSU football in the last 10 years — mostly because of Dantonio and his coaching staff.

When Dantonio arrived at East Lansing in November of 2006, he was tasked with rebuilding a crumbling football program at the feet of former head coach John L. Smith. During Smith’s four-year tenure the Spartans went 22-26 and were regarded by some to be not only the worst team in the Big Ten but one of the worst football programs in all of NCAA Division I football.

Since Dantonio took the job he’s been busy working at building his program from scratch. He has polished the reputation Smith had tarnished — and has cemented himself as one of the greatest coaches in MSU history while doing so.

In his decade of service, Dantonio has made himself the second-winningest coach in MSU history (87-33 record), six finishes in the AP Top 25, a school record of nine consecutive bowl appearances and 65 wins since 2010 — the most in the Big Ten and tied for fifth in all of college football.

And with each coming season Dantonio has made each MSU recruiting class stronger and stronger. Dantonio admits that success makes recruiting a much easier process.

“We can sell results, we really can,” Dantonio said. “You can tell (kids) ‘This is what we’ve done, and this is what you can look forward to if you come to school at Michigan State.’ And now there’s a lot of opportunities for everybody to make an impact and everyone has equal opportunities. Early on in the process that wasn’t the case, but now it seems like that’s what we sell. Our coaches have great relationships with the guys we recruit and that’s the best we’ve gotten it to.”

During his annual press conference that signifies the start of training camp, naturally, the media quickly asked him to reflect on his time at the helm of the Spartans.

“10 seems like a really long time, but on the other end of the spectrum you’re always starting over,” Dantonio said. “You feel refreshed, you have new players and it always keeps you moving forward because there’s always excitement.“

And then Dantonio alluded that he’s not done yet. One reporter asked if, after his first 10 years, he’d be ready for another 10.

“Another 10?” Dantonio asked rhetorically. “I don’t know about another 10 but I’ve got something left in the tank.”

Players and coaches from all around the team praised their head coach on Media Day, going on about the type of program Dantonio has built at Michigan State and the respect he’s brought from his colleagues in the Big Ten and throughout the country.

“The biggest thing is that the expectations have grown each and every year,” running back coach and co-offensive coordinator Dave Warner said. “The expectation now is that we’re supposed to compete for a championship now and maybe even win it every year.”

Dantonio has gotten his players to buy in to his system and it’s worked wonders.

“When I was in the recruiting process I had never heard of Michigan State ever in my life,” senior wide receiver R.J. Shelton said. “When I got here that whole culture really started to change at Michigan State… right now Coach D has upheld a reputation and we want championships now, and that’s what we believe.”

Dantonio and the Spartans will continue with training camp through August and kick off the season at home against Furman on Sept. 2.

“We’re always a work in progress here. There is always something physical here that we’re going to strive for, but I think that’s human nature — there’s always something else you want to grind for… with that being said you always want to aspire to be something better.”

Share and discuss “Dantonio: "I've got something left in the tank"” on social media.