Vendors flooded into Cleveland to profit off Trump

Cleveland resident Ann Sachs Mulholland preps her shop for the day on July 10, 2016 at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio.

Willy the Merchant, standing on East 4th Street behind a table full of custom Cleveland Cavaliers gear and hats styled with a makeshift RNC logo, doesn’t care about a permit. He didn’t have time for one, nor does he see why he needed one to sell his merchandise.

“I’m just trying to come out here and make a few dollars,” Willy said.

Inside the fences of the RNC, Ann Sachs Mulholland is setting up shop in Freedom Marketplace. Under her white tent, she sells officially licensed and elegant RNC cups, mugs, bottle openers and decoration items specifically designed for the nearly week long party.

“The woman who’s in charge of delegate services, she was just happening through our mall in January and came into our store and asked us if we’d like to participate,” Sachs Mulholland said.

And that’s the difference between her and Willy the Merchant, who withheld his last name but requested to be called Willy the Merchant. Sachs Mulholland is licensed to make money off the RNC logo.

Without a doubt this election has driven hard division lines in the country. But what might be bad for one’s stress level, might be extremely profitable for business. Just outside the black fence pieced together like a puzzle that separates the RNC venues from the streets of Cleveland is a throng of vendors like Willy, using Donald Trump’s name on products to try and add money to their pockets.

There are many more like Willy out on East 4th Street, which has become the main place for makeshift markets and news media. Mixed in with the large MSNBC tent in the distance is Travis Cook. Cook an aspiring entrepreneur is from York, Pa. He has no skin in the political game but noticed that politics equals money, especially Trump.

“Apparently, Hillary doesn’t sell as well,” Cook said. “I found that people are more passionate about Trump whether they love him or hate him.”

Cook however was talking about the positive products. Hillary Clinton might not sell well on a t-shirt with just here. But slap her name onto a shirt that has anything to do with jail, and it’s a hit. A majority of vendors sold a shirt or button related to throwing Hillary in jail.

Cook’s main item was a bedazzled Trump t-shirt that came in a variety of colors. Dressed from head to toe in red, white and blue, Cook said he arrived early to meet demand and out-pace his competition.

Cook wasn’t looking to pocket extra change. He said he was saving to head off to an Ivy League college, hoping the sales from this weekend would further him in his journey.

Further on down from Cook, Mark Vannuki stood next to a large sign with a life size Donald Trump bobblehead printed to it. Next to him were the real bobbleheads posed in the signature Donald Trump thumbs up adorned with the what’s become the Donald’s crown: his red “Make America Great Again” hat.

“People really seem to love our product,” Vannuki said. “Bobble heads have such a huge following that a lot of the time we’ll see a lot of bobblehead collectors get really excited and buy a couple.”

Vannuki added other vendors have bought the Trump bobble heads wholesale from him to sell in their booths.

“It seems to me like the t-shirts and the hats, there’s just so many people selling that kind of stuff they want to have something unique to attract attention,” Vannuki said.

The election has been catalyst for creativity as many products have ranged from crass jokes to satirical musings printed onto cheap cotton shirts. Others stepped up the ante, tossing designs onto everyday items.

Hayden Whetstone of TrumpySocks, printed a cartoon version of Trump’s face onto socks and is selling them for $20.16. He’s an inspiring entrepreneur as well hoping to cash in on the convention revelry and invest the money into his tech startup. He also hoped he’d garner enough attention that an investor would offer him money as well.

The mood among vendors was optimistic and carefree. They dismissed the notions of legal troubles for using Trump or RNC logos, saying they hoped a businessman like Trump could respect their determination to become self made entrepreneurs.

“If he sued me, I’d be honored,” Whetstone said. “I think I could change a lawsuit from him into an investment.”

Inside the wall the mood was convincingly different. The marketplace is only accessible to credentialed personnel and the items are tailored to the crowd. A vast array of tents lined the concourse walls of Progressive Field left field line. Vineyard Vines, a prominent national brand was mixed in the Sach Mulholland’s Cleveland area business. What separates them from the streets, however, is that they were asked to sell and asked to come in.

“[The RNC] liked what we offered as our product but then we had to design product with the RNC logo,” Sachs Mulholland said, adding they worked over a period of six months to develop the products sold in her tent.

Other vendors were selling handcrafted leather bound journals and frames of vintage posters. They sold paintings of American flags and framed vintage signs. The main tent sold official RNC merchandise including Trump bumper stickers and pins. Other tents sold handcrafted jewelry smothered in RNC logos and Republican elephants.

Smathers and Branson, a company that hand-stitches many items was approached by the RNC and brought its gaggle of Americana and Republican products. The company, based out of Bethesda, Md. has been selling well.

“Had a lot of people stop in, a lot of foot traffic,” employee Hunter White said.

Their prices ranged anywhere from just under $30 to more than $150. It’s a stark contrast to the outside of arena where nothing seem to reach over $30. While both sides are thriving, one could be classified as more elegant and the other just a sideshow of large events.

Share and discuss “Vendors flooded into Cleveland to profit off Trump ” on social media.