Tree rejuvenation project brings construction to Abbott Road

<p>A construction worker makes repairs to Abbot Road in East Lansing on July 27, 2015. Catherine Ferland/ The State News</p>

A construction worker makes repairs to Abbot Road in East Lansing on July 27, 2015. Catherine Ferland/ The State News

MSU's Abbott Road entrance, a historical area between Campbell Hall and the Union, is currently covered in fencing and construction equipment.

Twenty-one Norway Maple trees were removed due to declining health, the project to rejuvenate the entrance area is one of many areas on campus.

The project that began on May 25 is expected to be completed by June 17.

MSU Campus Arborist Paul Swartz said the Campus Planning Maintenance and Design, the group that makes decisions on campus landscape, meets regularly and discusses improvements that can be made throughout campus. He said a team of experts comes together to distinguish the specific rejuvenations and renovation on campus.

“They were nearing the end of their life expectancy,” Swartz said. “They had extensive trunk decay and an issue called girdling roots.”

Girdling roots can cause the tree to strangle itself in addition to other problems, Swartz said.

Swartz said the trees were becoming dangerous, and the maintenance to keep up with them was excessive.

“Structurally they were getting unsafe as far as the possibility of them falling over,” Swartz said.

“They are a non-native tree,” Swartz said. “The seeds could become invasive and they were getting into the woodlots and sprouting.”

Swartz said Norway Maples are an aggressive tree that can tend to take over an area.

“We wanted to replace it with native trees,” Swartz said. 

He said the project will replace the 21 Norway Maples with 16 Swamp White Oaks and five Sugar Tyme crabapple trees.

Swartz said the key for the landscape is longevity, which is why specific trees were chosen.

The project will rejuvenate the entire section of the area including updating Campbell Hall benches and repairing and updating sidewalks to the American Disabilities Act regulations. 

"It's a continual process to replace and replenish the campus trees and plants as they age and mature," Swartz said.

Southbound Abbot Road will be closed Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m., May 25 – June 10, the road will be open in the evenings and weekends, according to the Infrastructure Planning and Facilities' website

Share and discuss “Tree rejuvenation project brings construction to Abbott Road” on social media.