6 pieces of stolen art recovered by ELPD

Thousand Oaks, Calif. artist Pam Amputh shows her display of jewelry to Harbor Beach, Mich. residents Len Gajewski, right, and Mary Ann Gajewski during the 53rd annual East Lansing Art Festival on May 22, 2016 in East Lansing. The East Lansing Art Festival is ranked 50th in the nation in the Top 100 Fine Art Festival List by Sunshine Artist Magazine.
Thousand Oaks, Calif. artist Pam Amputh shows her display of jewelry to Harbor Beach, Mich. residents Len Gajewski, right, and Mary Ann Gajewski during the 53rd annual East Lansing Art Festival on May 22, 2016 in East Lansing. The East Lansing Art Festival is ranked 50th in the nation in the Top 100 Fine Art Festival List by Sunshine Artist Magazine. —
Photo by Nic Antaya | and Nic Antaya The State News

The East Lansing Police Department have found and recovered six pieces of artwork stolen during the East Lansing Art Festival. Police suspect that the work was primarily of an interrelated and intoxicated group, not an individual, a similar circumstance to previous vandalisms.

“We located some in the houses, and we actually had some turned into the police office,” Lt. Scott Wriggelsworth of the East Lansing Police Department said about the salvaged paintings. “While I think there may have been multiple people, and they may have been linked together, this wasn’t some big crew of art thieves into town for the festival. It was more some intoxicated individuals who made some bad decisions on their way home from a specific watering hole.”

Wriggelsworth said that there are suspects, and although the investigation is ongoing, the police department intends to press charges in the upcoming weeks. The suspects are not in custody. 

For the artists, the recoveries came as a great relief. Bala Thiagarajan had six pieces of art stolen worth a total of $3,400. She was told by the investigating detective that three people were involved in the heist of her artwork, two college students returning from bars, and one other individual who assisted them, according to her Facebook page.

“I just cannot thank the East Lansing Police Department enough for all the hard work that they’ve put into this,” Thiagarajan, who travelled from Chicago, said. “I was so happy. I was beyond thrilled. I was hoping that they would be able to find it, but I was really surprised at how quickly they were able to get it back.” 

Thiagarajan was optimistic about the finding of her pieces after her Facebook cry for help received almost 600 shares and extensive media coverage. Still, hearing the official announcement alleviated all of the past week’s worries.

Justin Bernhardt, on the other hand, never expected to see his stolen $350 piece again. He was no less ebullient about the recovery, but he was shocked upon receiving a voicemail detailing the police department’s haul.

“It’s a surprise,” Bernhardt, a Kalamazoo-based painter, said. “You know, when it got stolen, I was like, ‘It’s gone.’ I accepted it. And I was more surprised that it’s back again. It’s just a surprise.”

Although Bernhardt had only one piece stolen, he is especially excited to have that piece in particular back in his possession.

“That was actually a transitionary painting for me,” Bernhardt said, noting that the gold backdrop and glossy medium was unique for him. “The funny thing about that painting is that I was going to hang onto it and keep it for my portfolio and my personal references because I liked it.”

Bernhardt was not outraged by the crime, whatsoever. Rather, he remained sanguinely calm and asked for a mitigated sentence for the thief.

“I was happy to see that someone liked it, but it was unfortunate to have them take it,” Bernhardt said with a chuckle about the stolen work. “I just don’t want to see someone get in too much trouble for it because it’s not really breaking and entering… I don’t think I will press charges.

“[Artists] know that our work is susceptible to theft and those events. We just have a zipper, basically, keeping the people out, whoever it may be. I think it’s a hard call because it’s probably someone young who just wants something for their apartment.”

A minority of the stolen pieces remains missing, including all of the collection stolen from Karri Jamison and one additional piece of Bala Thiagarajan. Any information about the unfound stolen paintings can be directed to East Lansing Police Department detective Tony Fuller at (517) 319-6889.

Share and discuss “6 pieces of stolen art recovered by ELPD” on social media.