Spartans working to create film with 'creepy, obnoxious' character

Theatre senior Rosie Sullivan will star as the principal character of Elsie in the film in "The New Year," a film currently in the production stages. It involves several MSU students and alumni.

“She (Elsie) is so incredibly creepy, intriguing and obnoxious all at the same time,” Sullivan said. “She won't let you ever be comfortable, which is something I loved. Her mystery and intensity would make anyone curious, so it was definitely fun to dive into a character like this.”

The independent short film is based on Tim Pratt's short story "Happy Old Year.”

The project started when former MSU student Benjamin DeHart was inspired by Pratt’s story and wrote a script for the film, eventually getting Pratt’s permission to pursue the project.

“We got in touch with Tim Pratt in early January and received the rights to create this film a week or so later,” DeHart said. “We have been in production since late January. It's a very cool story, people will definitely enjoy it.”

The film is not an MSU production, but there are several Spartans involved in the film’s making.

“If you know about the people involved in film in Lansing and East Lansing, you know that the people here have a lot of talent,” DeHart said. “It’s a very well-done short film from people around the college area, and we’re all very proud of it.”

"The New Year" producer Brock Lewandowski said he hopes for the film to succeed in film festivals and other media circuits.

“I would love to see this make a great festival run,” Lewandowski said. “All of the people involved in the project are so excited about it, and are very talented people. I would like to see them have a great time on set, meet new people, and enjoy themselves while creating an awesome product at the same time.”

There is currently a KickStarter page for the film, where a trailer and more information about the film can be found.

Sullivan said students should be very excited about this film, as it is an collaboration of art done totally by their peers.

“We can find people and create something amazing,” Sullivan said. “People your own age are making a movie and with no help but our own. That's pretty cool, you've got to admit.”

Share and discuss “Spartans working to create film with 'creepy, obnoxious' character” on social media.