ELPD and MSU police prepare for St. Patrick's Day

Monette said the number one thing to keep in mind is how alcohol can affect judgment and make people do things they normally wouldn’t.

“I always remind people how important it is to be careful what they drink and how much of it they drink,” Monette said. “It’s easy to drink something with more alcohol in it than you thought.”

Wriggelsworth said students begin drinking early on St. Patrick’s day, which he said can easily get out of control if students don’t pay attention to hydrating and pacing themselves. He said it’s imperative for students to know their limits.

Using the buddy system is another important tip Monette gave. Because of the large number of people who will be on campus and off, it’s necessary to stay with friends, especially as day turns to night, he said.

As for travel, Monette said using reputable cab companies or CATA is another way to stay safe during the rowdy holiday.

Just recently, East Lansing police reported two instances of criminal sexual conduct perpetrated by drivers of a ride share company.

CATA will provide free transportation Thursday for people who need sober rides home through their Entertainment Express trolley system.

Rides will begin at 4 p.m. and will run every 15 minutes until 3 a.m. To catch a ride, students can board a trolley at any of the Entertainment Express bus stops along Grand River Avenue between downtown Lansing and East Lansing.

Wriggelsworth said the majority of incidents police respond to on St. Patrick’s Day are alcohol-related, such as disorderly conduct and open intoxication.

As for house parties, Wriggelsworth said it is only the parties that are out of control that draw police attention.

“If there are fights or public urination or any of that, we’ll be there,” he said. “If it’s just some friends drinking, listening to music, there’s no issue.”

Monette said MSUPD traditionally does staff more officers for St. Patrick’s Day, but will treat it like any other day.

“This is just another day for us,” he said. “Students just have to be smart like they usually are.”

Check back at statenews.com for more on the revelries during St. Patrick's Day. 

Share and discuss “ELPD and MSU police prepare for St. Patrick's Day” on social media.