MSU seniors shine in final home game at Breslin Center

With 52.8 seconds left in No. 2 MSU's game against Ohio State on Saturday, that's when it happened.

The Spartans were leading the Buckeyes 88-73, and with the game in hand, one-by-one, the four MSU seniors -- Denzel Valentine, Matt Costello, Bryn Forbes and Colby Wollenman -- all walked to the Spartan logo at center court, bent down, and kissed the floor before checking out of a game at Breslin Center one last time.

MSU went on to win the game, 91-76, clinching themselves the No. 2 seed in the upcoming Big Ten tournament in the process. And fittingly, such has been the case all season long, it was MSU's seniors which led the way.

Valentine finished with 27 points and 13 assists, Costello added 15 points and 11 rebounds and Forbes chipped in with 14 of his own points.

"I figured it was going to be a special day," said Valentine, who was the last of the MSU seniors to check out of the game, raising his arms and waving to the Breslin crowd in the process. "Me and my teammates really wanted to get this win and have a comfortable win and do all the traditions we went through. It's a special moment."

It's been a class in the eyes of players and coaches that's been marked by its improvement and MSU head basketball coach said after the game he's never been prouder of a group and also that the celebrations after the game are a reason for why he'd want to coach another 10 years.

"Nothing was handed down for these guys," MSU head basketball coach Tom Izzo said of how far his seniors have come. "And I sure as hell didn't hand anything down. They worked. They earned it. They did it and I'm not sure any group has come (as far), no matter what happens, next week or the week after, like this group has."

For Costello -- an admittedly emotional player -- in addition to his big game on senior day, his day was made even more special, as his twin brother John sang the national anthem prior to the game, after which Matt walked to center court and gave his brother a hug.

"Everyone thinks it's all sad, that's why I'm crying," Costello said. "But no, it's happiness. It's joy. This is fun for me and I just let it all out."

Forbes also shared in the sentiments of the day, as Breslin Center is a place he's been playing at since state tournament runs at Lansing Sexton High School.

"I had a great time here," Forbes said. "Playing in front of the fans at Breslin Center, there's nothing like it. I've been playing here about seven years since high school so it's a sad day, but also it's kind of the end of this chapter."

The Spartans won't dwell on this day for long. They've still got a number of goals left to achieve this season. They'll start Friday with the Big Ten tournament, where they'll be hoping to make up for a regular season title they feel they let slip away.

And after that, it's off to the NCAA Tournament for a team with a very real shot at a No. 1 seed.

"We've got a lot of basketball left," Valentine said. "I didn't want to get too emotional because we've got more winning left to do."

Share and discuss “MSU seniors shine in final home game at Breslin Center” on social media.