Bryn Forbes breaks 3-point record as MSU cruises to win over Rutgers

Senior guard Bryn Forbes prepares to shoot the ball during the second half of the game against Michigan at Crisler Center in Ann Arbor on Feb. 6, 2016.  The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 89-73.
Senior guard Bryn Forbes prepares to shoot the ball during the second half of the game against Michigan at Crisler Center in Ann Arbor on Feb. 6, 2016. The Spartans defeated the Wolverines, 89-73. —
Photo by Emily Elconin | and Emily Elconin The State News

No. 2 MSU (25-5, 12-5 Big Ten) beat Rutgers (6-24, 0-17) 97-66 as they continue to make a push for a double-bye in the Big Ten Tournament. MSU was led by senior guard Bryn Forbes with a career-high 33 points, including a career-high 11 3-pointers. Forbes shot 11-of-16 from behind the 3-point line. The 11 threes for Forbes is a new MSU and Big Ten record for 3-pointers in a game. 

Forbes broke the record with 8:03 to play off of an assist by freshman forward Deyonta Davis who continues to impress as a true freshman. 

In a season of big upsets, this was supposed to be a routine visit to Rutgers, a team which has now lost its last 31 conference games heading into Wednesday night's contest. However, with Rutgers star freshman Corey Sanders back from a four game suspension the Scarlet Knights were ready to give MSU a fight. 

MSU looked like it might pull away early after using a 5-0 run to take a 17-8 lead, but Rutgers stormed back behind Sanders, going on a 14-2 run to take a 22-19 lead as Sanders scored 13 of Rutgers' 22 points. Sanders finished the game with 19 points. 

In fact, every time it looked like MSU could take control, Rutgers refused to go away as the teams traded baskets with Forbes capping off a 15 point first half on 5-of-8 from the 3-point line. 

Rutgers shot the ball 67 percent in the first half, shot 7-of-8 from the free throw line and outscored MSU in the paint 24-14. MSU shot just 45 percent in the first half and was a mere 1-of-2 from the free throw line. MSU also shot 18 3-pointers in the first half, making only eight of them. 

MSU came out in the second half with a new focus as MSU opened the second half on a 20-3 run over the first five minutes to take a commanding 63-44 lead. MSU was led on the run by Forbes who hit 3-of-4 from behind the 3-point line during the run. Over those five minutes, Rutgers shot just 1-of-9 from the floor as MSU took control of the game. 

Rutgers was no match for MSU on the boards, getting out rebounded  35-21 including 23 offensive rebounds for MSU leading to 19 second-chance-points. Rutgers grabbed just six offensive rebounds leading nine second-chance-points. 

MSU got key minutes off the bench from sophomore forward Marvin Clark Jr., who scored 10 points while also tallying two rebounds a block and a steal. 

Senior forward Matt Costello and senior guard Denzel Valentine both had tough nights on the offensive end. Valentine finished with just 14 points on 6-of-17 shooting while Costello finished with 10 points on 4-of-8 shooting. However, the two senior leaders gave MSU a boost in other ways as Valentine dished out eight assists while grabbing eight rebounds while Costello grabbed a career-high tying 15 rebounds. 

Costello's double-double marked his seventh in Big Ten play which leads the conference. Costello is also now only one block away from tying the MSU all-time blocks record of 142 which is held by former MSU guard Branden Dawson. 

MSU finished shooting 49 percent from the floor, including 52 percent from behind the 3-point line. While Rutgers finished the game shooting 46 percent including 25 percent from behind the 3-point line. 

Share and discuss “Bryn Forbes breaks 3-point record as MSU cruises to win over Rutgers” on social media.