East Lansing under another Winter Storm Warning

Lansing resident Ellington Fields shovels snow during a  snow storm on Mar. 1, 2016 on Grand River Ave.
Lansing resident Ellington Fields shovels snow during a snow storm on Mar. 1, 2016 on Grand River Ave. —
Photo by Emily Elconin | and Emily Elconin The State News

Check back at The State News for updates on the storm.

Update 1:00 p.m. Wednesday

The City of East Lansing announced it had cleared most major city roads and sidewalks Tuesday during the day and overnight, according to a statement.

Local streets were cleared early Wednesday.

East Lansing also wants to remind residents of snow removal requirements. Snow accumulating before noon on a sidewalk must be cleared by midnight the same day while snow accumulating after noon must be cleared by midnight the next day. 

Snow falling on multiple days must be cleared within 48 hours of the first snowfall, whichever is sooner, and ice should be cleared for or something like salt applied within 12 hours.

Update: 2:52 p.m. In a news release, the City of East Lansing announced offices will be closing at 3 p.m. Tuesday due to current weather conditions and to allow employees to get home safely.

East Lansing City Hall, the East Lansing Department of Public Works, or DPW, the East Lansing 54B District Court, the East Lansing Public Library and East Lansing Prime Time all close at 3 p.m. while the Hannah Community Center will close at 5 p.m.,

Tonight’s city council meeting is also canceled.

A little less than a week after a winter storm dumped 9-10 inches of snow on the Lansing area and more than a foot in some areas of Michigan, East Lansing is again under a winter storm warning.

The warning issued at 11:27 a.m. on Tuesday is in effect until 1 a.m Wednesday. 

Snow accumulation is expected to reach 8 to 10 inches with heavy snowfall beginning around mid-afternoon and continuing until the evening. I-96 will be impacted hardest as the highest amounts of snow are predicted to fall along the highway.

One inch is expected to fall per hour until early Wednesday morning. 

The National Weather Service in Grand Rapids also expects the snow to be “less wet and heavy than snow received last week.”

Despite the lighter snow commuters and residents can still expect hazardous conditions with snowy and slippery roads.

East Lansing Police Department are reporting multiple car accidents due to weather, according to an alert.

Share and discuss “East Lansing under another Winter Storm Warning” on social media.