ASMSU and UAB set to put on spring concert, following setbacks

<p>Public policy senior Domonique Clemons, president of the associated students, addresses the policy committee at the ASMSU meeting on Sept. 24, 2015 in the Student Affairs and Services building. He said that he hopes to use the skills gained during his time at ASMSU to work in local or state government in Michigan.</p>

Public policy senior Domonique Clemons, president of the associated students, addresses the policy committee at the ASMSU meeting on Sept. 24, 2015 in the Student Affairs and Services building. He said that he hopes to use the skills gained during his time at ASMSU to work in local or state government in Michigan.

Photo by Catherine Ferland | The State News

After passing Bill 52-43 on Jan. 21 to allocate money from its general fund to host host a spring concert at MSU, ASMSU has run into a number of set backs and the process will not be moving forward as originally planned. 

A joint venture with MSU University Activities Board, or UAB, both organizations allocated $100,000 each towards the event and sought to individually find two artists to perform.

After the setbacks, the organizations intend to move forward with a singular performer selected by UAB, UAB music director Hannah Schroeder said. 

“The original plan was to … have a show that had two artists or groups performing, one as a headliner and then a second group to go with them, a still really well-known name as an opener,” ASMSU president Domonique Clemons said. “We went through a long list of people for that and we have not been able to get that, but we have the headliner.”

As of now only one artist is set to perform, and Clemons anticipates the cost of putting on the performance between the two organizations will be reduced.

“The budget, as far as our cost, is going to be smaller,” Clemons said. “We are still going to fairly closely split the costs (with UAB), and the money that is remaining, that is not used, is going back to the general assembly (fund).”

After the bill passed in January, vice president for internal administration Jason Porter said the yet-to-be announced artist chosen by UAB “are pretty big on iTunes right now.” 

Porter and Clemons estimate ticket prices to be between $10 and $20.

Share and discuss “ASMSU and UAB set to put on spring concert, following setbacks” on social media.