Final: MSU grinds on the road to defeat Ohio State, 81-62

<p>MSU senior guard&nbsp;Bryn Forbes celebrates a play during MSU's 81-62 road victory over the Ohio State Buckeyes on Feb. 23. Forbes finished the game with 27 points. Photo courtesy&nbsp;Samantha Hollingshead | The Lantern</p>

MSU senior guard Bryn Forbes celebrates a play during MSU's 81-62 road victory over the Ohio State Buckeyes on Feb. 23. Forbes finished the game with 27 points. Photo courtesy Samantha Hollingshead | The Lantern

No. 6 MSU defeated Ohio State 81-62 Tuesday night, ending OSU's four-game winning streak and earning MSU its seventh win in its past eight games. MSU was led by senior guard Bryn Forbes who had 27 points, including a 7-of-10 3-point shooting night. Senior Denzel Valentine had 17 points and eight assists. OSU was led by junior forward Marc Loving who finished with 19 points. 

MSU got off to a slow start, making just one of its first five shots as OSU got off to a 7-4 lead over MSU. MSU would find its rhythm, though, making its next four shots and go on an 8-2 run to take a 14-9 lead. 

OSU would fight back to eventually take a 25-24 lead as MSU found itself in foul trouble throughout the first half with junior guard Eron Harris picking up two first half fouls and senior forward Matt Costello sitting for the final 11 minutes of the first half with two fouls of his own. 

Despite making only one field goal over the final seven-and-a-half minutes of the first half, shooting just 1-of-9 from the floor, OSU was able to trail by only five at the half, 36-31. MSU head coach Tom Izzo said during his halftime interview that he was going to challenge his seniors in the second half, Costello in particular. 

The seniors responded as opened the second half making six of its first eight shots. Costello and senior forward Bryn Forbes led the charge scoring six points each over the first four minutes of the half to help MSU to a 50-40 lead. 

From there MSU's lead would hover around 10 points for a while thanks to MSU's hot 3-point shooting. MSU made 14-of-22 from behind the arc with senior guard Denzel Valentine and Forbes combining to be 11-of-17 from three. 

Costello helped MSU extend MSU's lead to 17 with just over five minutes to play as he continued his spectacular second half, scoring 12 of his 16 points to go along with his six rebounds. 

MSU had another outstanding game sharing the ball as the team assisted on 16 of the team's 31 field goals. MSU shot the ball a proficient 54 percent from the floor and out rebounded OSU 30-28. 

OSU shot the ball just 39.6 percent from the floor and 35.7 percent from the 3-point line. OSU finished the game 19-21 from the free throw line compared to MSU's 5-of-7 from the line. 

Share and discuss “Final: MSU grinds on the road to defeat Ohio State, 81-62” on social media.