Column: Despite loss, Valentine makes another case for most dynamic player in country

The final play MSU senior guard Denzel Valentine made in MSU's 82-81 overtime road loss to Purdue Tuesday night was an unfortunate one.

The game was tied at 81 a piece and No. 18 Purdue had the ball with less than seven seconds to go.

Senior Purdue guard Raphael Davis had the ball at the top and got a screen from senior forward A.J. Hammons. Valentine fought around the screen, bumped into Davis and was whistled for a foul with less than five seconds left in the game.

Davis went to the line and sank one of two free throws, giving the game to the Boilermakers.

Maybe it was a foul. Maybe it wasn't. But the fact of the matter is, without Valentine, MSU wouldn't have had any shot to win the game Tuesday night.

In fact, it wouldn't have even been close.

And despite the loss, despite the final play, Valentine made another case for something that's become household knowledge for college basketball fans all across the country -- that he's perhaps, without question, the most dynamic player in the country.

Valentine put up another stat stuffing game Tuesday night. He finished with 27 points, 10 assists and eight rebounds and heroically led MSU back from a 17-point deficit on the road.

At one stretch of the second half, Valentine made three 3-pointers in the span of 50 seconds to cut Purdue's lead from 50-35 at the 16:53 mark to 50-44 with 16:03 left in regulation.

And then, late in the game, with MSU's backs against the wall down 81-79 with less than 20 seconds to play in overtime, the Spartans put the ball in the hands of Valentine. The senior guard drove to the lane, and with three Boilermaker defenders draped all over him, Valentine somehow got a layup to go and tied things at 81 with 14 seconds left in the game.

In the end, it wasn't enough, but once again Valentine proved he's a threat to put up a triple-double any given night, something he's done twice this season -- a 29 point, 12 assist and 12 rebound performance against Kansas on Nov. 17 and 29 point, 11 rebound, 10 assist outing against Boston College on Nov. 26.

As of Tuesday night's game, Valentine is averaging 19 points, 7.9 rebounds and 6.9 assists per game.

Look, clutch big time scorers like Oklahoma's Buddy Hield are exciting to watch, and freshman phenoms like LSU's Ben Simmons are few and far in-between.

But when it comes to the dynamic play and all-around game, Valentine is tough to match.

Share and discuss “Column: Despite loss, Valentine makes another case for most dynamic player in country” on social media.