MSU football headed to Cotton Bowl to take on Alabama in College Football Playoff

From left to right, junior wide receiver R.J. Shelton, junior cornerback Jermaine Edmondson and senior defensive end Shilique Calhoun celebrate on Dec. 5, 2015 after the Big Ten championship game against Iowa at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. The Spartans defeated the Hawkeyes, 16-13.

The No. 3 MSU football team (12-1, 7-1 Big Ten) is officially on its way to the College Football Playoff, where they will take on No. 2 Alabama (12-1, 7-1 SEC) in the the semifinal game at the Cotton Bowl in Arlington, Texas on New Year’s Eve. 

The other semifinal game will be between No. 1 Clemson (13-0, 8-0 ACC) and No. 4 Oklahoma (11-1, 8-1 Big 12)  at the Orange Bowl in Miami, Florida. 

The winners of the two semifinal games will then meet on Monday, January 11, 2016 at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz. for the national championship game.

The Spartans punched their ticket to the playoff Saturday night with a 16-13 victory against the Iowa Hawkeyes (12-1, 8-0 Big Ten) in the Big Ten championship game. The Spartans used a 22-play drive in the fourth quarter, covering 82 yards and spanning more than nine minutes, until freshman running back LJ Scott ran it in from 1-yard out the clinch the victory for the Spartans.

Share and discuss “MSU football headed to Cotton Bowl to take on Alabama in College Football Playoff” on social media.