Polls have closed on City Council race, candidates await results

<p>East Lansing City Hall on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News</p>

East Lansing City Hall on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

The final votes for the 2015 East Lasing City Council Election have been cast as the polls closed at 8 p.m.

Results will be compiled at East Lasing City Hall by City Clerk Marie Wicks and will be posted on Ingham County's website later that night.

Wicks said she expects results to be in between 9 and 11 p.m.

Some of the six candidates for East Lansing City Council are out in the community celebrating their campaign efforts and waiting for the results of the election.

Nathan Triplett, who has served as mayor of East Lansing since 2013, said he was spending the evening with friends, family and supporters at Beggars Banquet in downtown East Lansing.

"There's obviously always a certain amount of nerves involved in (waiting for the results), but I'm proud of the campaign we've run, a campaign focused on both the record that I've built over the last eight years and also a positive vision for East Lansing's future — and I have faith in the electorate that they share that vision," Triplett said.

Shanna Draheim said she is spending the evening at a friend's house on Sabron Drive alongside friends, family and supporters after spending most of her campaign emphasizing the need to articulate a vision for the downtown area.

She also said she wanted to build strong partnerships between the city, East Lansing Public Schools and MSU as part of her campaign.  

Draheim said she is feeling confident about the election, but said she of course, is still nervous.

“I am feeling good about (the election) — I ran a really good campaign," Draheim said. "I worked hard all summer and fall and I think I did everything I could possibly do to get my message out there and talk to the voters."

Mark Meadows, who served on council from 1995 to 2006 and was mayor for eight years during that time, is also hosting a watch party in the community. Meadows and his family, friends and supporters will be at Reno's East after the polls close and until results come out.

Meadows said he wanted to point out the fact that every candidate wonders what their fate will be once the results come in, but he is feeling good about his campaign. 

No matter the results he said he enjoyed walking through neighborhoods, knocking on doors and interacting with the community, Meadows said.

"Everybody who campaigns hopes to change the future because you identify the needs of the public, they become aware of it and it’s an educational process as well as trying to get votes," Meadows said. "They learn a lot about you, but you also learn about the things that are bothering people in the community.”

Fellow candidate Steve Ross said he is spending the evening with a small group of family and friends while Erik Altmann and Jermaine Ruffin could not be reached to comment on the matter. 

Share and discuss “Polls have closed on City Council race, candidates await results” on social media.