No. 3 MSU basketball wins big vs. Eastern Michigan, 89-65

Junior guard Eron Harris looks to pass during the second half of the basketball game against Eastern Michigan on Nov. 23, 2015 at the Breslin Center. The Spartans defeated the Eagles, 89-65.

MSU defeated Eastern Michigan 89-65 at Breslin Center on Monday night.

The AP No. 3 Spartans advanced to 4-0 on the season and will travel to California on Tuesday to play Boston College (3-0) in the Wooden Legacy Tournament on Nov. 26.

Freshman forward Deyonta Davis was huge for the Spartans all night, as he finished with 16 points, five rebounds and five blocks in 18 minutes.

EMU took its time moving the ball early and scored the first four points of the game off layups, but the 16:25 mark would be the Eagles last lead of the game.

Thirteen different players scored for MSU and the team shot 48 percent from the field and had 26 assists.

A combined 45 points off free throws and three-pointers kept MSU ahead the remainder of the game, along with a 13-point, six rebound performance from junior guard Javon Bess. Bess shot 12 free throws and made 9. Bess scored 16 points in the Spartans last game against Arkansas-Pine Bluff in just 19 minutes and played 16 minutes on Monday.

The Spartans reached a 21-point lead with 15:48 remaining in the game after a highlight reel alley-oop from senior guard Denzel Valentine to Davis. The Eagles' chances of storming back were seemingly squandered on this play as the Breslin Center crowd erupted and EMU was forced to call a timeout.

Davis received a technical foul after the play.

Valentine finished with 12 points, nine rebounds and seven assists in 27 minutes.

Valentine came out of the game with 5:47 remaining, limping on his right knee, but his facial expressions and ability to jog indicated it was nothing serious.

Forbes was a contribution to the Spartans impressive field goal percentage from beyond the arc, as he shot three-for-four on three-point attempts and finished the game with 12 points.

The best performer for EMU was junior guard Ty Toney. Toney ended the game with 18 points and shot 50 percent from the field.

The Eagles did show promise in the first half with multiple poised possessions running late into the shot clock, but an overall 34 percent field goal percentage was not enough to hang around with the Spartans.

MSU will continue its play in the Wooden Legacy Tournament on Thursday against Boston College (3-0). The Spartans will play two more games in the tournament on Friday and Sunday against two of the following teams: Arizona, Boise State, UC Irvine and Santa Clara.

Share and discuss “No. 3 MSU basketball wins big vs. Eastern Michigan, 89-65” on social media.