New beer bar coming to East Lansing

<p>City of East Lansing restaurant liquor licenses and occupancy.&nbsp;<a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/media.tsn/77497_tin_can_liq_license_map___addono.pdf">See a PDF version of the map.</a></p>

City of East Lansing restaurant liquor licenses and occupancy. See a PDF version of the map.

A new "world class beer bar" will be coming to downtown East Lansing sometime in January. The bar will be called The Tin Can and will be located at 313 E. Grand River Ave. and the northern portion of 317 E. Grand River Ave., which is currently home to StateSide Deli and Pub.

Its application for the special use permit was approved by East Lansing City Council last week.

According to Tin Can's website, "In the ever changing beer universe, cans are back in style!"

The bar will offer over 80 different canned beers with more than 40 from Michigan craft breweries. In addition, the bar will sell liquor and pudding shots and will offer a food menu.

The special use permit for the new business was approved 3-2 by East Lansing City Council with Council members Kathleen Boyle and Ruth Beier opposed.

Beier said East Lansing already has an "undue concentration" of bars that stay open until 2 a.m.

“We don’t really need another one that is going to do what the others do, but if it is going to be a successful restaurant as Spencer’s could have been then I see it as an addition to downtown," Beier said. "If it’s just going to be another 3 p.m. to 2 a.m. bar then I will be voting against it.”

Mayor Nathan Triplett said the bar's owner, Doug Johns, is a "proven operator who can operate responsibly in our downtown" and has already "taken action to alter their successful business plan from other locals to conform to East Lansing’s unique requirements." 

Share and discuss “New beer bar coming to East Lansing ” on social media.