Thursday, September 19, 2024

Get to know this year's East Lansing City Council Candidates

<p>East Lansing City Hall on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News</p>

East Lansing City Hall on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

East Lansing City Council elections will take place Nov. 3 with three seats up for vote. There are six candidates and only one incumbent running. 

The one incumbent is the current mayor, Nathan Triplett.

Elections for city council are every two years, with three councilmember’s terms ending one election and two the next. The new council will have to appoint a mayor and mayor pro tem following the election. Here are the six candidates vying for your vote.

Nathan Triplett: Triplett has served as mayor of East Lansing since November 2013. Prior to that, Triplett was elected as mayor pro tem in November 2011 and was first elected to East Lansing City Council in November 2007. Triplett is a 2006 graduate of MSU with a Bachelor of Arts in political theory and a Bachelor of Arts in social relations. He graduated from the MSU College of Law in 2012. 

Erik Altmann: Altmann is a psychology professor at MSU and a member of the East Lansing Planning Commission. Altmann said these positions provide a unique perspective on the city. 

Shanna Draheim: Draheim has lived in East Lansing with her family for 11 years. She has a background in community and environmental sustainability. 

Mark Meadows: Meadows is a former state representative and mayor of East Lansing. He said his history working with the student community is strong. 

Jermaine Ruffin: Ruffin graduated from James Madison College at MSU with a degree in social relations and policy and has lived in East Lansing for 15 years. 

Steve Ross: Ross graduated from MSU in 2008 with a degree in political science. During his time as a student, he volunteered on the election campaigns of John Kerry and Barack Obama. In 2009 Ross moved back to East Lansing and started his own business, SMR Strategies, a political consulting firm which works with progressive candidates running for public office. 

Share and discuss “Get to know this year's East Lansing City Council Candidates ” on social media.