Editorial: MSU desperately needs to update intramural sports facilities

<p>People exercise on Sept. 3, 2015, at IM Sports-West. Jack Stephan/The State News</p>

People exercise on Sept. 3, 2015, at IM Sports-West. Jack Stephan/The State News

Photo by Jack Stephan | The State News

MSU has one of the best basketball and football programs in the Big Ten, but you wouldn't be able to tell by the state of our intramural sports facilities.

While star quarterbacks and point guards enjoy top of the line fields and courts, regular students are left with run-down buildings and pathetic equipment to use.

At other universities, students enjoy amenities like lazy rivers, rock climbing walls, and even free kayaking lessons.

So the burning question on our minds is: why do our facilities suck so much?

Last year, with the introduction of a new provost, MSU launched the healthy campus initiative, aimed at making "MSU one of the healthiest places to live and work."

During the last year students have heard healthy campus initiative tossed around regarding such things as a new tobacco ban on campus, different ways of tackling the stresses of college, and confronting mental health in a constructive way.

But one thing remains constant in the minds of students and seemingly absent in the minds of administrators — MSU’s aging intramural facilities.

The IM Sports-Circle is set to celebrate its 100th anniversary this year while MSU’s IM Sports-West has not seen significant renovations since 2005.

MSU’s IM facilities are some of the worst in the Big Ten and compared to newer facilities at other schools, membership is costly as well. Schools such as Ohio State University factor membership costs into tuition so students can always have access to exercise facilities.

It isn’t just for pride or luxury that other universities are revamping their exercise facilities though, and it is for much larger reasons we implore MSU to make updates to its current facilities.

Studies show that continuous exercise can increase levels of glycogen in the brain, specifically the frontal cortex and hippocampus which are integral in memory and learning, meaning exercise can help increase cognitive function and make for a smarter campus.

Exercise can also be paramount in combatting stress, which we all know is something college students face on a daily basis and is something that MSU hopes to combat through its healthy campus initiative.

Stress can lead to mental health issues such as anxiety disorder and depression and can also lead to physical ailments such as high blood pressure and diabetes.

Aerobic exercise can help to reduce stress by releasing endorphins in our brain which work to create a natural high — often referred to as “runner’s high.”

It is for these reasons that we believe MSU needs to take drastic steps in order to confront the state of its aging IM facilities. We understand the costs included in a venture like this, but believe that in order to provide one of the healthiest places to live and work, like MSU is aiming to do, we must have exercise facilities that motivate students to want to get up and do something active.

Share and discuss “Editorial: MSU desperately needs to update intramural sports facilities” on social media.