MSU Spartan Performance program aims to educate young athletes on injury and wellness

<p>Earvin and Cookie Johnson Pavilion at Spartan Stadium on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News</p>

Earvin and Cookie Johnson Pavilion at Spartan Stadium on Aug. 29, 2015. Courtney Kendler/The State News

The MSU Spartan Performance program has partnered with the East Lansing High School athletics department for a year-round athletic coalition aimed at reducing injuries and educating young athletes on variety of things from mental health wellness, physical training and nutrition.

Though the program has been teaming up with specific high school teams from around the Midwest, director of Spartan Performance Joey Eisenmann said East Lansing was the first district to sign up its entire athletic department.

“We are currently serving several individual athletes and schools and teams,” Eisenmann said. “East Lansing High School athletics director Tom Hunt was the first in the area to commit to our services for the entire school, whereas others have just enrolled selected teams.”

The collaboration between the two schools started in June with MSU assisting the high school with its aquatics program. MSU will continue to assist each team as they enter their sports season. The initiative involves several steps to ensure that high school athletes gain the right knowledge and receive support that will help them as they move forward in their endeavors.

“It involves Spartan Performance staff working with our coaching staff and providing training on fitness, nutrition, dynamic warm-up, resistance training and sports psychology,” Hunt said. “It also involves some of their interns coming over and working with our student athletes in the weight room and our training facilities both in and out of season.”

Hunt said this will provide players with a more systematic approach to training and fitness.

Eisenmann said this program is important for a variety of reasons as he feels student athletes often compete too much with little training.

“We are seeing an increase in injury rates in young athletes due to lack of physical preparedness, poor technique and overuse,” Eisenmann said. “In addition, young athletes and coaches are not incorporating proper recovery methods, nutrition, or sleep. Our integrated approach is based on peer-reviewed studies that are age-appropriate and consider long-term athlete development.”

With 600 student athletes from a variety of programs participating in the program, both directors said they feel the impact from this year-long partnership will be beneficial and help improve the fitness and physicality involved in sports.

“The impact will be seen through improved physical functioning, injury prevention and performance,” Eisenmann said.  “In addition, lifestyle skills such as proper nutrition, sleep, and the importance of physical activity can be taken throughout the lifetime. Meaningful mental skills can also positively impact sports performance, academics, and personal growth.”

Share and discuss “MSU Spartan Performance program aims to educate young athletes on injury and wellness ” on social media.