Plans for new Spartan Village Apartments approved by MSU Board of Trustees over summer

<p>Rendering of the new Spartan Village Apartment&nbsp;complex.</p>

Rendering of the new Spartan Village Apartment complex.

After much consideration, the MSU Board of Trustees has approved plans to retire the original Spartan Village Apartments and create a modernized successor at the corner of Harrison road and Kalamazoo street. The name of the complex will be decided on by the board sometime in September, Director of Communications for Residential and Hospitality Services Kat Cooper said. 

The current housing complex has long been a popular home for international students and families seeking apartment-style living. Gabriela Amaral, a graduate student from Brazil, adores her current living situation and praises it as the “best deal” and “fairest price” for international students such as herself.

Initial plans to demolish the old buildings were met with concerns  about the displacement of the same families that found Spartan Village highly practical. Amaral said she has concerns as to where the University would place all of these residents, especially families.

Among other issues, the possibility of heightened rent rates also sits in the minds of many occupants. Graduate student Sung-Kyun Woo promptly responded “of course it would concern me,” when asked about the possibility of higher prices.

Cooper met the concerns with promises to continue to provide accessible housing to those who found sanctuary in the atmosphere of the Spartan Village Apartments.

“One of the drivers of this project is to make student and family housing affordable,” Cooper said.

Relative to family style apartments in the Lansing area, Cooper continued, the new living complex on campus will be a steal.

Cooper said the new project, temporarily dubbed the State Police Post Redevelopment, will also continue to be completely funded by the RHS, therefore avoiding raising tuition. In addition to a closer proximity to campus, the new site adjacent from Brody Neighborhood will boast a marketplace for families, as well as sporting facilities and playgrounds for children.

Cooper quelled reservations about the construction of the new site by reiterating that no residents at the current Spartan Village will be displaced upon its demolition. 

Cooper said leases for the pending complex will begin in the fall of 2017 and Spartan Village residents will be offered the chance to sign leases preceding that of the general populace of MSU. Spartan Village itself will not close until December of 2017, leaving plenty of time for occupants to entertain other living options.

More renderings of the approved construction can be found here

Share and discuss “Plans for new Spartan Village Apartments approved by MSU Board of Trustees over summer ” on social media.