Men's Basketball 2015-2016 non-conference schedule released

The MSU men’s basketball non-conference schedule has been announced and includes two home games against the University of Louisville and the University of Florida, according to a Spartan Athletics release.

The Spartans will compete in two neutral-site events: The Champions Classic in Chicago, Nov. 17, against the University of Kansas, and the Wooden Legacy tournament in Orange County, Calif., Nov. 26, in which the first opponent will be Boston College.

Including the events’ potential opponents, the Spartans could face 17 different teams with 11 having competed in the postseason this past year and seven of the 13 non-conference games will be played at Breslin Center, according to the release.

The Spartans will open the 2015-16 season at home against Florida Atlantic on Nov. 13. The Owls are coached by former Detroit Pistons head coach Michael Curry, and assisted by former Spartan and NBA player Eric Snow, according to the release. MSU will also play a neutral-site contest vs. Oakland at the Palace of Auburn Hills. The lone true road contest will see MSU travel to Boston to play 2015 NCAA Tournament participant Northeastern, according to the release.

MSU coach Tom Izzo said the combination of an expectedly deeper Big Ten and this non-conference schedule will test the team early and often.

“I’m excited about the non-conference schedule that we’ve put together,” Izzo said. “The first thing that jumps out at me are the Louisville and Florida games at Breslin Center. We are excited to bring some of college basketball’s top programs to our home fans this season. It’s part of a continual quest to schedule great non-conference games home for our fans that have been so loyal and give us one of the best home court advantages in the nation.”

Nov. 13 home against Florida Atlantic

Nov. 17 neutral-site (Chicago) against Kansas

Nov. 20 home against Arkansas Pine Bluff

Nov. 23 home against Eastern Michigan

Nov. 26 Boston College Wooden Legacy tournament

Nov. 27 UC-Irvine/Boise State

Nov. 29 Arizona/Providence/Evansville/Santa Clara

Dec. 2 home against Louisville

Dec. 5 home against Binghamton

Dec. 9 home against Maryland Eastern Shore

Dec. 12 home against Florida

Dec. 19 away against Northeastern

Dec. 22 neutral-site (Palace of Auburn Hills) against Oakland

Michigan State will play a pair of home exhibition games against Northern Michigan, Nov. 4, and Ferris State, Nov. 9, prior to opening the regular-season, according to the release.

The Big Ten schedule will be released at a later date. It was earlier announced that MSU will play five teams home and away (Iowa, Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Wisconsin), four only at home (Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Nebraska) and four only on the road (Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue), according to the release.

Share and discuss “Men's Basketball 2015-2016 non-conference schedule released ” on social media.