Afternoon downpour causing flooding at roadways, houses

<p>East Grand River Avenue by Milford Street under heavy flooding conditions on Monday.</p>

East Grand River Avenue by Milford Street under heavy flooding conditions on Monday.

The East Lansing area was hit by a torrential downpour this afternoon, causing a number of safety hazards and floods.

Roads in the area are flooding and drivers are being directed to exercise extreme caution while driving, according to police statements

The National Weather Service has issued a flood advisory from 12:10 p.m. to 12:15 a.m. on Tuesday for northwestern Ingham County, stating most flood deaths occur in automobiles and asking drivers not to drive on roads completely covered in water. 

East Lansing police Lt. Steve Gonzalez said significant flooding has occurred at the intersections of Saginaw Street and Coolidge Road, as well as at Trowbridge Road and Harrison Road, and drivers are being asked to find alternate routes. 

Flooding in houses is also being reported.

Mike McCurdy posted in the MSU Student Housing Co-Op Facebook group that the sewers are backed up and many residents might see water in their basements, advising them not to use sinks, showers or toilets. 

Share and discuss “Afternoon downpour causing flooding at roadways, houses” on social media.