Sunday, May 5, 2024

Tom Minkel entering last season as head wrestling coach

<p>Head coach Tom Minkel shakes senior 165 pounder Robert Nash as he walks up with his family to be recognized for Senior Day before the meet. The Spartans defeated the Comets, 40-0. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Head coach Tom Minkel shakes senior 165 pounder Robert Nash as he walks up with his family to be recognized for Senior Day before the meet. The Spartans defeated the Comets, 40-0. Erin Hampton/The State News

When his mother got him involved with the sport in fifth grade Tom Minkel, head coach of the MSU Wrestling team, knew wrestling would be a big part of his life. Minkel said it has been “heavy in his blood” since the beginning. Growing up with a father, who was an administrator at MSU, and a mother, involved in the music program at MSU, as well as attending former MSU Wrestling Head Coach Grady Peninger’s wrestling camp at IM Sports-West as a kid, Minkel found that MSU has also always been a big part of his life.

After the 2015-16 season and 25 years as the head coach at MSU, Minkel will put all of this behind him and retire from the wrestling program. Roger Chandler the current associate head coach will take over.

“Coaching is a very demanding, time consuming job,” said Minkel. “It’s very taxing and it’s just tough and so I am at the stage in my life where I am looking forward to doing some other things.”

In his 38 years of coaching Minkel has found plenty of success. During his tenure at MSU he has produced 38 All-Americans, 13 Big Ten Champions and two NCAA Champions. Minkel owns the second-most wins in program history with 166 dual victories and has lead his team to 16 top 30 finishes at the NCAA Championships.

Minkel also had much success on the mat during his career as a wrestler. Wrestling in college at Central Michigan University, he was a three time All-American and conference champion in 1969 and 1970. He was inducted into Central Michigan’s hall of fame in 1985. Minkel was an assistant coach for 12 years and head coach for two at Central Michigan before coming to MSU.

Even with all of the success he has had, Minkel said his favorite part about coaching has been building relationships.

“That’s probably the most rewarding part of coaching is the fact that you can help young men with their lives and those really important decisions they make and that’s probably the thing I’ll miss most and the thing I enjoy most about coaching,” Minkel said.

Minkel is ready to hand the reigns over to Chandler who knows wrestling inside and out, is a good recruiter and communicator and will lead the program to a successful future, he said.

“Our goal is to do well at the Big Ten Championships, do well at the National Championships and I am quite confident Roger (Chandler) will take the team there,” Minkel said.

Chandler has been with the Spartans for 18 seasons and was named associate head coach in 2011. He had a successful wrestling career at Indiana University as he was male athlete of the year in 1996-97 at his alma mater. He was also elected into the Indiana University Athletics Hall of Fame in 2008. Chandler said he has a vision for the program and is excited to get started in his new position.

“It’s about having the right people in the right place and I really believe that we will get the right coaches in here that will elevate these guys and give them the training necessary to improve their skills to be All-Americans and national champs,” Chandler said.

The announcement that named Chandler head coach designate came on June 30 from MSU Athletic Director Mark Hollis.

“I’m excited about the future of Michigan State wrestling,” said Hollis in a statement. “We’re thankful for everything that Coach Minkel has given to Michigan State and we’re looking forward to celebrating his exceptional career in the sport of wrestling during his final season.”

Minkel said he is looking forward to his final season as head coach, but also has plans for the future. Minkel plans on getting back into playing poker professionally. In 2010 he played in the World Series of Poker, although he was knocked out quickly he plans to make it back to the stage using some of the skills wrestling has taught him.

“It has all the same elements of wrestling. It’s making good decisions under pressure. It’s being rested when they’re tired. It’s being sober when the other guys are drunk It’s taking a bad beat and not letting it affect you,” Minkel said about poker.

The head coach said he also plans to stay connected with the program after retirement.

“Coaching demands a lot of time from your life, but that said I wouldn’t change a minute of it. I’ve enjoyed it thoroughly,” Minkel said.

Share and discuss “Tom Minkel entering last season as head wrestling coach ” on social media.