MSU student breaks domino-toppling record at Michigan Science Center

Steven Price, a mechanical engineering senior from Canton, MI, broke the record for most dominoes toppled in the U.S. Saturday at the Michigan Science Center in Detroit. Price and his team of 15 builders also attempted to break the world record for most steps in a Rube Goldberg Machine, but were unsure if that record was broken. Price said they won’t know for a “long time.”

Price, who has been building Rube Goldberg Machines for 8 years, said the launch went “great.” A few of the parts of the machine failed, but there were back-ups in place that were effective.

“It went really well, everyone loved it and we were really proud of what we accomplished,” Price said.

Some of Price’s previous projects can be found on his YouTube channel, but the final video showing the launch of the “incredible science machine” has not been uploaded. The plan is to have it up sometime over the next two weeks.

Price said he is glad he and his team had the opportunity to share their interest with a larger audience.

Shannon Mackie, a senior marketing manager for the Science Center, said there was an audience of 200 people at the live event, with an additional 150 watching a live stream of the event inside the center.

Price said he is looking forward to working with his team of builders and taking on future challenges.

“We are open to breaking any world records as long as we can get all the builders in one place with plenty of time and a flat surface to build on,” Price said. “We would definitely consider doing another one.”

For a full profile on Steven Price, see Thursday's edition of The State News. 

Share and discuss “MSU student breaks domino-toppling record at Michigan Science Center ” on social media.