Tuesday, May 7, 2024

MSU ranked No. 6 in preseason coaches poll, highest yet

<p>Junior quarterback Connor Cook looks to pass the ball Jan. 1, 2015, during The Cotton Bowl Classic football game against Baylor at AT&amp;T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. The Spartans defeated the Bears and claimed the Cotton Bowl Victory, 42-41. Erin Hampton/The State News</p>

Junior quarterback Connor Cook looks to pass the ball Jan. 1, 2015, during The Cotton Bowl Classic football game against Baylor at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. The Spartans defeated the Bears and claimed the Cotton Bowl Victory, 42-41. Erin Hampton/The State News

The Spartans will begin the upcoming football season ranked No. 6 in the Preseason Amway Coaches Poll, their highest ranking ever since the poll's inception.

USA TODAY began administering the Preseason Amway Coaches Poll in 1991. The highest MSU has been ranked in the poll is No. 8 in 2014.

Two of MSU's 2015 opponents ranked in the top five. Oregon, who MSU plays Sept. 12 in the Spartan's home-opener, is ranked No. 5 and Ohio State, who the Spartans play Nov. 21, come in at No. 1 as the Buckeyes attempt to defend last season's national title.

MSU was also ranked in the Preseason Coaches Poll in 2012 (No. 13), 2011 (No. 17), 2002 (No. 18), 2000 (No. 22), 1998 (No. 23) and 1991 (No. 22), according to msuspartans.com.

Share and discuss “MSU ranked No. 6 in preseason coaches poll, highest yet” on social media.