MSU alumna recently crowned Miss Michigan

MSU alumna Emily Kieliszewski recently won the 2015 Miss Michigan Pageant, winning the title of Miss Michigan as well as scholarship money to further her education. 

“It’s thrilling to know hard work and perseverance pay off,” Kieliszewski, who has competed in the pageant six times, said. 

Kieliszewski graduated from MSU is 2013 with a political science degree, and she said her education at MSU helped her respond intelligently to the questions in the interview portion of the competition. 

“A lot of experiences I had at Michigan State really propelled me forward and helped get me where I am today,” Kieliszewski said. “I’ve known since I was four years old I was going to be a Michigan State Spartan.” 

Kieliszewski said she started competing in pageants when she was 17 to help pay for MSU, and she’s been hooked ever since she won her first title. 

Described as hard-working and dedicated by her friends, Kieliszewski has worked for more than just the Miss Michigan title. 

Since she was 12, Kieliszewski said she’s been working to push legislation through adopting America’s children platform. 

Friend and fellow MSU graduate Joey Kahlil said after Kieliszewski won Miss Capital City a few years ago she renewed her efforts to try to get legislation passed to allow maternity leave for parents who adopt a child. 

“It’s something that is extremely important for her because she’s living it,” Kahlil said. 

Kieliszewski said she has three adopted brothers, and she hopes to use the money she won in the pageant to go to law school and get a degree in family law. 

She is the oldest child and had to help her mom take care of her younger siblings, Kahlil said, and it made it hard because her mother couldn’t get maternity leave for the children she had adopted. 

“I strongly believe that every child should have the experience I had,” Kieliszewski said. “Every child should come home to a loving, stable environment.”

Jacquelyn Bahling, another friend and MSU graduate, said she remembers Kieliszewski trying to get the legislation passed when they were in high school. 

“Ever since I’ve known her she’s been just the nicest, most well-rounded, genuine person I’ve ever met,” Bahling said. 

Both Bahling and Kahlil said they were excited and proud when they found out Kieliszewski won the Miss Michigan pageant, and agree it’s something she deserves. 

Aside from her friends, Matt Grossmann, an MSU professor of political science, said it came as no surprise that Kieliszewski would be involved in leadership opportunities such as the Miss Michigan Pageant. 

Kieliszewski was one of Grossmann’s research assistants and she worked with him on a research project about policy change. 

“She was very enthusiastic from the beginning,” Grossmann said, “one of the best researchers I’ve had.” 

Kieliszewski said Grossmann was very supportive and his research opportunity helped her with her Miss Michigan Pageant interviews. 

“Dr. Grossmann was hands-down one of the best professors I’ve ever had,” Kieliszewski said. 

Grossmann describes Kieliszewski as self-directed, gung-ho and independent. 

“She was one of the students who talks most in class, was helpful to other students and enthusiastic about everything she has to do,” Grossmann said. 

Though Kieliszewski is overwhelmed and still getting used to being Miss Michigan, Bahling said the judges picked the right girl.

“She’s an all-around really lovable person and I can see why the judges would fall in love with her,” Bahling said. 

“I’m just proud to be a Spartan,” said Kieliszewski, who will represent Michigan in the Miss America Pageant this upcoming September. 

Share and discuss “MSU alumna recently crowned Miss Michigan” on social media.