E-books don’t have to be the death of print

Over the last few years, I have noticed an overwhelming decline in the use of printed books. While at MSU, I began to use my iPad as a way to buy a cheaper version of my school books. I’m completely torn about how I feel watching my favorite thing, reading a printed book, slowly fade. 

I miss the time when those were the only option, before the introduction of eBooks and the Amazon takeover. 

It seems printed books will soon become the past while convenience, unfortunately, takes away another important tradition. The digital age has ended a lot of old, yet wonderful, gadgets. 

My hope is that printed books will never die. As a college student and a bit of a nerd, I love when the time comes that I have to buy all of the books for my classes. If that were to change, and I only have to type in an ISBN number to Amazon for my automatic download, it will be less exciting for me. 

A lot of students still prefer a physical, tangible copy of a book for studying, and I have to admit I do too. It’s easier to learn when you have something in your hands, rather than a computer or tablet screen. Other people aren’t really phased by the change, some don’t notice and others never really read books enough to care at all.

Ebooks are here for the long run. However, that doesn’t mean printed books will disappear. They might continue to decline though. 

Unfortunately, with regression comes issues evolving from the lack of interest in printed books. The main use for a library is the borrowing of printed books. Their future will remain up in the air if people only want to “deal with” digital books. As a kid, you’re taught the greatest source for information is the library. Today, kids are learning that everything you need to know is no longer in books, but on the Internet. 

People will begin to think, “Why read when you can just look up all the answers?” 

This is where my heart weeps a bit. I love to read; it is essential to furthering knowledge and imagination. The digital age could cripple this ideal. I know printed books may be on their way out, but the importance of reading and hearing different stories needs to remain part of our society. 

Colleges are an important factor in the continuation of printed education. Using books in schools will help tie the importance of reading to overall education. 

I guess the main thing you miss when you read an eBook is that actual, physical connection to the story — legitimately opening up a book and turning pages. Although eBooks are more convenient and accessible, despite easier access to books, people still don’t seem to urge themselves to read. 

E-reading is on the rise, but it’s going to be pretty hard to push the more than 500-year-old institution of books off the map. 

I’m happy as long as reading both printed books and digital copies keep people learning new things and exploring new literature.

Share and discuss “E-books don’t have to be the death of print” on social media.